Water Polo Takes Two of Three in Brown Invitational

By Daniel E. Fernandez, Crimson Staff Writer

The Harvard women's water polo team proved this weekend that size doesn't matter-most of the time.

The Crimson participated in the Brown Invitational this past Saturday, facing UMass, Iona, and Dartmouth in the course of the day-long event. Harvard rebounded from an early morning loss to the Minutewomen by beating Iona and edging the Big Green later in the afternoon.

The weekend's success is symbolic of difficulties the Crimson has overcome this spring and is a promising indication of things to come.

"We've definitely had some handicaps beacuse we're a smaller team," said co-captain Jesse Gunderson. "But we've done quite well this season in spite of that."

Though many Crimson players made impressive contributions in the tournament, junior driver Laurel McPhee had a particularly strong showing.

"Laurel had a good showing this weekend and has really improved a great deal from last year," Gunderson said.

Harvard now turns its attention to hosting the Eastern Championships this weekend. If the Crimson can finish in the top three of the tournament, it would earn a berth to the National Championships, which will begin on May 11.

"Personally, I'd love to finish each game at Easterns feeling happy with how we played," Gunderson said. "If we come together as a team and are happy with how we play, then I'm sure we'll end up doing well."