Clare Signs With Browns

By Martin S. Bell, Crimson Staff Writer

After he was not selected during this weekend's NFL Draft, senior Mike Clare agreed to a free agent contract with the Cleveland Browns late Sunday night. The Browns officially announced the signing yesterday.

"This was basically my goal since my junior year," Clare said. "The NFL is starting to discriminate less with conferences now and look more at talent, and this was what I wanted to do."

Clare, an All-American offensive tackle, is the latest of several Harvard football alums to gain a shot at the professional ranks after graduation. Matt Birk `98 was a Pro Bowl selection this past season. Isaiah Kacyvenski `00 was a fourth-round draft pick in last year's draft. Chris Eitzmann `00 and Mike Sands `00 were signed to free agent deals shortly after that draft.

Overall, six Crimson players have signed NFL deals in the last four years.

"It's definitely a statement about the kind of guys who come through here," Clare said.

As he watched the later rounds of the draft on television, Clare got the call from several teams interested in his services.

"I heard from the Patriots, Jets and Browns," Clare said. "And I felt that with the Browns I would get the best opportunity."

Clare was a three-year starter and did not allow a quarterback sack during his junior and senior years. Thanks in large part to his presence on the left side, the Crimson was fifth in the nation in total offense.

The Browns went 3-13 in the 2000 season.