Foundation Celebrates 20-Year Anniversary

By Juliet J. Chung, Crimson Staff Writer

The Harvard Foundation for Intercultural and Race Relations celebrated its 20th anniversary on Thursday with a dinner and awards ceremony in Quincy House honoring its founders and supporters.

Guest speaker A. David Mazzone '50, a U.S. First Circuit district judge, opened the ceremony by paying tribute to the Foundation's three founders-University President Emeritus Derek C. Bok, Plummer Professor of Christian Morals Peter J. Gomes and Dean of the Faculty Emeritus Henry Rosovsky-all of whom were present at the dinner.

"It is fitting that tonight we should recognize the contributions of three individuals whose contributions, more than any other, perhaps, led to the creation of the Foundation," Mazzone said.

Mazzone and Foundation Director S. Allen Counter presented each of the founders with plaques signed by Counter and University President Neil L. Rudenstine.

Gomes, whom Counter credited with having the vision that eventually led to the Foundation's creation, passed on the accolade on to Bok.

"I would not be standing here in any way were it not for President Bok," Gomes said.

Bok appointed Gomes as the Plummer Professor and also asked him to chair the committee that recommended the creation of the Foundation.

Bok, the University's president from 1971 to 1991, emphasized the motivation behind creating the Foundation, distinguishing it from similar institutions at other universities.

"The Harvard Foundation did not arise naturally out of an upsurge of student demand," Bok said, referring to student protests in the 1970s for a Third World center or an ethnic-based institution. "Creating an institution that separates, whatever the motive, is not what we wanted to do."

Instead, he said the Foundation was intended to foster intercultural understanding.

He acknowledged that race relations at Harvard are not ideal, but credited the Foundation for ensuing improvements.

"If [race relations] are somewhat better here than at other institutions of higher learning, the credit belongs to the Harvard Foundation and I cannot pay a higher tribute than that," Rosovsky said.

In what was perhaps the highlight of the event, guest speaker Abner Mason '85, the chief secretary of Massachusetts and a former student Foundation member, read a proclamation on behalf of Mass. Gov. Jane M. Swift declaring April 26 to henceforth be "Harvard Foundation Day" in Massachusetts.

Dozens of past and current faculty and students were also recognized during the evening for their work in improving race relations at Harvard.

Counter was himself recognized for his 20-year directorship of the Foundation. Senior Associate Dean of the College Archie C. Epps III presented Counter with a silver platter, thanking him for enhancing "the quality of our common life."

Counter closed the evening, which featured performances by the Harvard Band and the Callbacks, by urging students to continue their work.

-Staff writer Juliet J. Chung can be reached at jchung@fas.harvard.edu.