Apologize to Ginger

Harvard should admit its mistake in forcing professor to resign for his political views

By The CRIMSON Staff

Even though we are pleased that Harvard has admitted to forcing the resignation of former Harvard Business School Assistant Professor Raymond S. Ginger, the University should have also apologized for its role. In a letter to Ann Fagan Ginger, the widow of the former professor, Board of Overseers President Sharon Gagnon wrote that she would not presume to “second-guess the motives or judgments of individuals in that difficult time.” In light of Harvard’s overt misbehavior in Ginger’s case, we adamantly disagree with Gagnon’s neutrality and ask the Board to admit that Harvard erred.

Capitulating to the hysteria of McCarthyism, Harvard commanded Raymond Ginger to either divulge his political allegiances or resign. Unwilling to comply with the coercion, he immediately submitted his letter of resignation. Harvard gave the Ginger family the monetary equivalent of the two remaining months of his contract, contingent on their rapid departure from Massachusetts. The quality of Raymond Ginger’s teaching and scholarship was never challenged, and the University committed a grave sin against academic freedom by forcing him out on the basis of his political views.

Gagnon’s letter comes in response to a letter from Ann Ginger asking the University to admit its fault, apologize and issue a statement that reasserts its commitment to preserving academic freedom. The Board’s reply fails on all three counts. It baffles us that Harvard could admit that it forced Raymond Ginger to resign but omit any notion of wrongdoing. Although Gagnon expressed “sympathy and regret” for the imposed hardship on the Ginger family, she skirted the issue of Harvard’s culpability.

We support Ann Ginger and encourage the continuation of her efforts to force Harvard to confront its Cold War legacy and its treatment of her late husband. Harvard should not allow obstinacy to cloud common sense. Though the current Board of Overseers is not responsible for Harvard’s actions in the 1950s and can in no way compensate Ann Ginger for events of the past, it does have the power to give her the apology that she deserves.