W. Lax Rides Momentum After Upset of No. 7 B.U.

Coming off its biggest win of the season, the women's lacrosse team hopes to build on its recent success when it takes on Penn tomorrow at Jordan Field.

Harvard (5-3, 0-2 Ivy) is coming off an emotional 7-6 overtime upset of No. 7 Boston University on Wednesday. Co-captain Megan Austin came through in dramatic fashion, netting the game-winner just two minutes into the extra period. It was the Crimson's first victory over a top-ten opponent in the past two seasons.

"This was the first time we delivered on all of the things we were talking about all season," sophomore Leslie Moroz said. "We finally played up to our potential."

The victory was fueled by an impressive defensive performance. Three Harvard defenders chipped in goals, and the Crimson held a powerful BU squad to its lowest scoring output since its season opener. Sophomore goaltender Nora Guyer provided an effective last line of defense, putting down the Terrier attack with 14 saves.

"Nora was fabulous," Moroz said. "She came through at all the right times and then some."

On the attacking side, Harvard co-captain Alli Harper continued her personal offensive onslaught with two more goals. Harper's 26 tallies on the year lead the Ivy League.

Wednesday's win capped a tough weeklong stretch during which the Crimson played to three one-goal decisions against ranked teams. Harvard beat now-No. 20 Stanford 14-13 in overtime last Thursday before suffering a heartbreaking last-second loss to No. 8 Yale 10-9 on Sunday.

The close defeat at the hands of the Elis made Wednesday's victory even more satisfying, as it proved once and for all that the Crimson could break through against top-caliber competition.

"It's one thing to compete with a top-ten team, but it's another thing to actually finish and win," Harper said. "We weren't sure we could advance a step further as a top-ten team and finish against one before Wednesday."

Harvard figures to face a much easier task against Penn (4-5, 1-2) this weekend, although the team has struggled against weaker competition this year. None of Harvard's victories have come by more than three goals.

"When we play against good teams, we play our best, but we've played inconsistently against lesser teams," Harper said.

Tomorrow's contest will be the first of four straight Ivy League games for Harvard, which now must focus on improving its 0-2 conference record. After meeting Penn, the Crimson must travel to No. 3 Princeton and No. 11 Dartmouth, making a win tomorrow critical if Harvard hopes to stay near the top of the Ivy League.

A victory should also ensure Harvard a place in the national rankings for the first time this season, and help the team maintain its current momentum.

"We have a confidence that our team has never had before," Harper said. "Hopefully, that confidence will take us to the next level."