Man Breaks Into BSC

By Joseph P. Flood, Crimson Staff Writer

The Harvard University Police Department (HUPD) arrested a Cambridge man early yesterday morning after he broke into the Bureau of Study Counsel.

John A. Chute, 21, was arrested after breaking into the Linden Street building with a brick at 2:30 a.m. Monday.

A caller reported to HUPD that there a suspicious man was breaking glass near the intersection of Linden Street and Mass. Ave.

"One unit was in the area and responded quickly to the building," said HUPD spokesperson Peggy A. McNamara.

"He noticed a screen and window had been broken, and when he looked in, saw a white male inside," she said.

As Chute approached the front door of the building, the officer yelled at him to leave the building, but Chute tried to flee.

"He started to run and was taken down with a sweep kick," McNamara said.

HUPD officers then called an ambulance for Chute, who had cuts on his arms and legs. An officer on the scene said Chute was injured by shattered glass while breaking into the building.

When asked by an officer if he had a partner in the break-in, Chute shook his head no.

After being bandaged at the scene, Chute was transported to HUPD headquarters and charged with breaking and entering with intent to commit a felony and malicious destruction of property over $250.

-Staff writer Joseph P. Flood can be reached at flood@fas.harvard.edu.