PSLM Rally Draws AFL-CIO President

By Garrett M. Graff, Crimson Staff Writer

Supporters of a living wage staged the largest rally in the Yard in more than a decade yesterday, as the occupants of Mass. Hall continued their 12-day sit-in and administrators worked behind the scenes to establish a new committee to review Harvard's wage structure.

The 45 minute rally lived up to its billing as "unprecedented," attracting a crowd of about 1,100 to hear AFL-CIO President Jack L. Sweeney offer the Progressive Student Labor Movement (PSLM) a "message of support."

"Forty million union households are standing with you," Sweeney, in town for a labor conference, told the demonstrators, a large proportion of whom were graduate students and union workers.

Lynne Lyman, student body president of the Kennedy School of Government, left Mass. Hall during the noon rally, 12 days, 22 hours and 58 minutes after entering the building. Lyman's departure leaves about 30 students inside, down from the 48 who entered the building two weeks ago tomorrow.

"I hear space in tent city is filling up fast, and I wanted to get out and reserve a spot on Justice Avenue before they were all gone," Lyman told the cheering crowd.

Yesterday's rally, which organizers had expected to draw between 1,000 and 1,500 supporters, saw the largest police presence of the continued protest. Close to 40 Harvard and Cambridge police officers stood watch over the crowd.

Meanwhile, Harvard President Neil L. Rudenstine began meeting yesterday with faculty members around the University and assembling the task force he offered PSLM on Friday in an attempt to end the stand-off.

The new committee, dubbed "Mills Plus" after the committee that met last year headed by Professor of Business Administration D. Quinn Mills, will reopen talks between unions, students, administrators and faculty, said University Spokesperson Joe Wrinn.

Although PSLM members have dismissed Rudenstine's offer as dishonest propaganda, Wrinn promised the offer is "sincere and genuine."

Protesters promise they will not leave Mass. Hall unless the administration offers all workers a full "living wage" of at least $10.25 an hour.

Administrators said they might fill the student spots on the new panel with non-PSLM members since PSLM is refusing to participate in the report.

One group of students interested in workers' rights, and not affiliated with PSLM, approached Associate Dean of the College David P. Illingworth '71 yesterday.

-Staff writer Garrett M. Graff can be reached at ggraff@fas.harvard.edu