Boys II Ji-men-ez: Future Looks Bright For United States Soccer

By Nicolas O. Jimenez, Crimson Staff Writer

With all the trophies, all the glory, and all the individual achievements the United States has achieved throughout sporting history, it has never conquered the most important sporting event in the world: The World Cup.

The Jules Rimet Cup, named after the FIFA president who during the years of World War II did everything possible to keep soccer alive, has never been in the hands of an American.

The best showing by a USA team came 71 years ago, in the inaugural World Cup in Uruguay.

The USA was among the final four teams, and in sight of the Cup, but was blown away, 6-1, by international powerhouse Argentina in the semifinals.

The USA's next best effort came in 1994, playing as the Cup hosts. Taking advantage of the automatic bid into the tournament, the USA enjoyed great luck, especially when Columbia's Andres Escobar recorded an own goal that gave the Americans the 2-1 victory over Columbia.

With that goal, the USA advanced to the Round of 16 and gave a tremendous effort against eventual champion Brazil, but fell, 1-0.

In the 1998 World Cup in France, the USA scored only once in three games, losing to Germany, Iran, and Yugoslavia.

Adding to the perpetual futility, the USA failed to qualify for all but one World Cup from 1938 to 1986, swallowed up in the marathon that is the qualifying round.

That is a rather inglorious achievement considering the nation's status as a world power.

Even so, it is hard to place blame on the U.S. team. The majority of the countries that reach the World Cup eat, drink, sleep and breathe soccer.

Most of the major American sports are virtually non-existent in these countries, with all the emphasis given to learning and training in soccer. Children grow up playing soccer, rather than basketball, hockey, volleyball, and baseball.

All of these countries have soccer leagues full of superstar players that continually compete against each other, while the U.S. has Major League Soccer.

Let's face it. The Kansas City Wizards and the New England Revolution would have a hard time defeating Real Madrid of Spain or Manchester United of England.

There is also the fact that players on World Cup teams have to be citizens of their country, so the option of using money to lure superstar players is eliminated, while any player who changes his citizenship to play for another country would most probably find his health in serious jeopardy.

However, the future is looking bright for the American squad.

Ranked 18th in the World FIFA rankings, the USA is off to a blistering 3-0 start in the North American qualifying for the 2002 World Cup to be held in Korea and Japan.

The team has already defeated Costa Rica, Honduras, and perennial World Cup contender Mexico.

The Americans have only allowed one goal, to Honduras, in the three games, while recording impressive shutouts of both the Mexicans and the Costa Ricans.

The team's commitment to defense, led by goaltender Kasey Keller, has stifled the other CONCACAF opponents thus far, and the emergence of two possible "matadors" in Clint Mathis and Josh Wolff shows the Americans are headed in the right direction.

The USA has a five point lead over Costa Rica and Mexico with seven games left to play, but the team only needs to finish in the top three to make the field for the Cup, so only a major collapse would deter a fourth consecutive trip to the biggest dance of them all.

Once there, will the U.S. team be able to run with the South American and European teams?

Will it be able to dethrone France and conquer juggernauts such as Italy, Germany, Argentina, and Brazil? Will old Jules come to the United States for the first time?

Probably not, but at least we still have the MLS.