A Sort of Romantic Comedy Well Worth The Confusion

By Rebecca Cantu, Contributing Writer

A play whose description is “a sort of love story with gun and whatnot” is sure to provide a wild ride. The first scenes of Odeon (written and directed by James A. Carmichael ’01), are disorienting. For several minutes the audience sits in darkness listening to a techno-mix of answering machine messages. Following this is the illumination of a single neon light proclaiming that it is “open”—whatever “it” is. In the meager neon light are three simultaneous scenes: a young man reclining on a couch, a young couple in a restaurant booth and two friends in a movie theater. Then the light goes off, and the scenery is changed by comic book superheroes (the Incredible Hulk is the most recognizable).

The play then launches into a scene where two onlookers are watching their friend get beat up by a mean-looking guy in a leather jacket. Though this mix of incongruity and surrealism creates confusion, it does not detract from the piece, but rather intrigues the audience.

Odeon, stated simply, is the adventure that three Brooklyn youths have one summer night and the aftermath that follows. However, like many things in life, Odeon is not that simple; the scenes are not always in a linear sequence, and interspersed among them are sidebars in which Donald (Steve J. Sandvoss ’02), the main character, addresses the audience and gives explanations.

After the initial scenes the plot begins, thankfully, at the beginning: Donald is working at a deli, owned by the father of his friend, D (Graham A. Sack ’03). During his shift, a mysterious Frenchman forgets his cell phone on the deli counter, and when it rings, D answers. Soon enough, Donald, D and their friend Trix (Geordie F. Broadwater ’04) become involved in a shady operation (vaguely resembling a drug deal) which brings them to a bridge in New Jersey to return the phone and collect a reward. Unfortunately, their plans go awry when Donald, who has a medical condition that gives him seizures, has an episode. It is in this way that Donald meets Gaby (Jordan R. Berkow ’03), one of the two people who come to collect the cell phone.

Though the plot of Odeon may not be that interesting (boy gets dragged to a weird situation by his friends, boy meets girl, boy and girl clearly like each other, boy and girl almost never see each other again, story has a happy ending) the execution certainly makes this production one of the best this semester. Carmichael creates characters who are interesting and emotionally engaging. Donald is a shy, uncertain teen who grapples with the untimely death of his parents and the handicap his medical condition imposes on him. D is a boisterous, and sometimes obnoxious youth who is looking for some fun (which often means trouble). Trix is the third member of this motley crew; the mini lapses of violent behavior that interrupt his calm and sophisticated demeanor give him the nickname “Schitzy.”

The play’s humor also contributes to the overall strength of the production, for it offers numerous laughs and never seems forced. In addition to the seemingly random appearances of the comic book heroes (Donald eventually explains that he likes comic book heroes because he admires their invincibility), the dialogue is often hilarious. D adds much color to the play, especially when he drops phrases like “punch my muscle,” “suck my grits,” and “we’ll bring the ruckus!” Especially funny is the dream sequence in which Donald is in a car with Gaby. Accompanied by an “oldie,” his three friends stand in the dark off to the side waving pink lawn flamingoes to the music.

The sheer talent of the actors also contributes to the excellence of Odeon. Sandvoss delivers a stunning, heartfelt performance in which he communicates his physical and emotional state of being very well; at no point does he step out of his character. Broadwater, as Trix, gives an equally stunning performance. His character demands that he constantly change the cadence in his speech as well as his mood, and fulfilling those demands is amazing, considering the difficulty of the role as written. Sack is another exceptional addition to the cast; he perfectly embodies that one friend everyone who is either really funny or deserves a punch in the face.

Although the main asset of the play is its cast, Odeon also manages to be an interesting collection of sight and sound. Contemporary music played during certain intervals help express a mood or idea, or occasionally serve as a transition. Set designers Brittain Bright ’00 and Emily J. Carmichael ’04 created a visually appealing set, which not only effectively adds to the staging of the scene, but makes excellent use of the space available. The main feature of the set is a structure that could be turned towards the audience one of three ways, changing the stage into a room, a car or a diner. The lighting also contributes to the effective use of the stage and helps indicate the mood and focus of the scene. However, the lighting culminates near the end when several characters are outside. While the theater is dark, pinpoints of light are projected across the ceiling to simulate stars to amazing effect.

Though student-written plays are often atrocious or, at best, mediocre, it is worth wading through the theatrical disasters to see the few gems that appear each semester, and Odeon certainly sparkles.

Odeon will be performed in the Loeb Ex tonight at 7:00 and 9:30 and tomorrow night at 7:30.

Odeon

written by James Carmichael

directed by James Carmichael

Through May 5

Loeb Ex

Film