Clever Falls to Ninth in Javelin

Men’s track co-captain Chris Clever’s undefeated season full of personal bests and meet records had to come to an end sooner or later.

Unfortunately for Clever, the run ended a meet too soon. He placed ninth in the javelin at the NCAA Outdoor Championships in Eugene, Ore. on Wednesday with a performance of 67.82 meters.

The ninth-place finish was an improvement over his 14th-place finish at NCAAs for each of the previous two years. But Clever, who had been ranked fifth nationally based on his Heptagonal meet record performance of 74.06 meters, had been hoping for more.

“It definitely wasn’t my best day,” Clever said. “I could tell right from warm-ups that my technique wasn’t there.”

Clever was last among the 19 NCAA competitors after faulting on his first throw and then failing to break 60 meters on his second throw.

But facing elimination, Clever delivered a clutch 67.82-meter throw to move into ninth place, enough for him to earn a berth in the finals, All-American status and another three throws.

But Clever could not advance any further. John Steigeler of Oregon won the event with a Duck record 77.07-meter throw to please the hometown faithful of 4,000. Outside of Steigeler, the majority of competitors threw well short of their personal bests.

“Unfortunately, the distances weren’t great,” Clever said. “There was a strong headwind that hurt some more than others. I definitely had a chance to place much higher.”

Recommended Articles

Women's Track Takes Third At Heps
Although this weekend's Heptagonal Championships in Philadelphia had a number of individual success stories for the Harvard men's and women's
Clever, Kraay Lead M. Track at Penn Relays
The Harvard men’s track team earned its fair share of trophies and national accolades at the Penn Relays over the
Clever, Taylor Records Highlight Track Meet
School-record performances from track co-captains Brenda Taylor and Chris Clever highlighted the teams' first league tri-meet of the outdoor season
Clever Leads M. Track at Heptagonals
Despite outstanding efforts from co-captains John Kraay and Chris Clever, the Crimson placed eighth at Outdoor Heps this weekend for
Athlete of the Week: Chris Clever '01
When men’s track co-captain Chris Clever entered into the 2001 outdoor season, he was already the greatest javelin thrower in
Track Trio Excels at IC4As, ECACs
Senior NCAA title hopefuls Chris Clever, Brenda Taylor and Dora Gyorffy dominated their respective events last weekend at the 125th