Red Sox Draft Crimson Ace Ben Crockett

By Brian E. Fallon, Crimson Staff Writer

For Harvard pitcher Ben Crockett, yesterday’s Major League Baseball was like a dream come true—sort of.

The Crimson righthander and Topsfield, MA native was selected by his hometown team, the Boston Red Sox. But while the prospect of playing at Fenway Park someday may be thrilling, Crockett must have been a little startled at how far he slipped in the draft.

Crockett was taken in the tenth round with the 304th overall pick, a bit of surprise given most pre-draft projections. In its most recent issue, Crockett was ranked by Baseball America as the 85th best prospect in the country. In addition, ESPN.com pegged him as high as the 53rd overall pick just last Saturday.

Earlier this year, Crockett’s stock soared after he was named Pitcher of the Year in the prestigious Cape Cod League. Entering this season, the Crimson righthander had honed an impressive 91-mph fastball to go along with a nice change-up and a nasty curveball.

But after last summer, Crockett began having problems with his throwing elbow. That-combined with some chilly spring weather-plagued Crockett during the early part of the 2001 campaign.

While Crockett bounced back strong at season’s end-throwing a no-hitter against Dartmouth in his final outing to finish the year 4-4 with a 4.04 ERA-his elbow troubles may have ultimately frightened teams away.

Whether Crockett will now choose to sign with the Red Sox or stay at Harvard for his senior season remains to be seen.