M. Squash Earns Ivy Title

By Jared R. Small, Crimson Staff Writer

Yoga might not seem to be related to squash, but if you ask the Harvard men's squash team, the two are directly intertwined.

Combining this trendy form of in-season cross training with the more traditional workouts, coach Satinder Bajwa's team found a formula for success and once again proved itself to be one of the nation's finest.

With a deep and talented roster, Harvard had its goals set on both an Ivy League title and a national championship. While only the former would be realized, the season was far from a disappointment.

By the end of the season, the Crimson had earned a No. 2 ranking and placed four players onto the thirteen-member first-team All-American squad.

Led by senior co-captains Deepak Abraham and Shondip Ghosh, Harvard turned the tables on Princeton by avenging last season's loss with a 5-4 victory on February 11. By far the biggest dual-match win of the season for Harvard, the triumph allowed the team to cruise into New Haven 10 days later and finish off an undefeated Ivy campaign. "The excitement was unbelievable, and the team spirit fantasticly high," said Ghosh, who engineered a heroic comeback from two games down to lift Harvard in the decisive ninth match.

Ghosh's 17-15 decision over Dan Rutherford in the final game wasn't the only Tiger-bashing that will be remembered. Two weeks later, Abraham outlasted eventual national champion Peter Yik to lead Harvard to a 6-3 victory over Princeton in the semi-finals of the national team championships.

Abraham, James Merrill, Gray Witcher, James Bullock, Ziggy Whitman, and David Barry combined to win 18 of 20 games from their counterparts in Orange and Black to launch the team into the championship round against arch-rival Trinity.

The Bantams would prove to be the stronger team the next day, improving upon their early-season 5-4 win over the Crimson with a decisive 6-3 edge.

"This season marks a turning point in the history of Harvard Squash because

it is no longer easy for us to beat every team out there," Abraham said respectfully. "This season the team collectively exceeded its grasp and performed better than ever before."

After topping out with an individual ranking of No. 2 after his victory over Yik at the team championships, Abraham finished the season ranked No. 4. Joining him on the first-team All-American squad were No. 6 Pete Karlen, No. 7 Shondip Ghosh, and No. 9 James Bullock. Dylan Patterson and Andrew Merrill earned second-team All-American status. In addition, Merrill earned the prestigious Skillman Sportsmanship Award, given annually by the National Intercollegiate Squash Racquets Association.

"The season was one of my most rewarding years," Ghosh said. "We bumped up our commitment and effort levels like never before, making the year really exhilerating

and emotional."

Never was the emotion more evident than during the Feb. 3 face-off with Trinity, when the greatest rivalry in collegiate squash lived up to all expectations. A standing room only crowd at Barnaby Courts was treated to an exhibition of individual skill, team comraderie, and first-class sportsmanship.

The afternoon began on a good note when Harvard's Karlen made quick work of Trinity's Lefika Ragontse. With the capacity crowd cheering Karlen on to victory, the graceful giant kept Ragontse on the run with a combination of power and finesse.

Ragontse would go on to become a regular fixture at the Murr Center, bringing his fast footwork, deceptive drop shots, and delightful personality back to Cambridge for the national individual championships. Ragontse would outlast Abrhaham in the semifinals before falling to Yik in the title match.

As Harvard's six seniors-Abraham, Ghosh, Merrill, Witcher, Robert Pike, and Ian Sinnott-graduate today, they will be able to take countless memories with them. The freshest ones, however, will surely be from this season.

"I will remember this season even more so than my freshman year when we won nationals because we worked so much harder and gave up so much more this year," Abraham said.

For the nine underclassmen, the loss of some great teammates will be met with both regret for their departure and gratitude for their service. While some of the intra-team friendships and rivalries will have to come to an end, the seniors have each played a part in helping the Crimson juggernaut grow stronger.

With rising seniors Dave Barry and Pete Karlen taking over the co-captainship, the team looks to be in able hands. The Rye, NY natives and long time friends have been immersed in the Harvard tradition since their days as youths at the Apawamis Club, where they played under two-time national champion Peter Briggs '73.

"I think Pete and Dave are going to be on top of this and they plan to get in touch with the freshman for next year pretty soon," Abraham said.