‘Forum’ Provided Laughs, Full Characters

By Jeremy W. Blocker, Crimson Staff Writer

Some may think that the brilliant book of Burt Shevlove and Larry Gelbart, along with Stephen Sondheim’s charming music and witty lyrics, guarantee any director a success when staging A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum.

The show, though, requires a complex blend of outrageous and subtle comedy that can lose all appeal if handled improperly.

Therefore, when Pete Wilson ’98 applied to direct the piece as part of Harvard-Radcliffe Summer Theatre 2001, he set quite a challenge for himself.

I’m pleased to report, however, that despite some awkwardly staged duets and a few mixed comedic opportunities, Wilson managed to conquer a tough bit of musical theater.

In his best moments, Wilson led his actors in gleefully breaking down the fourth wall and succeeding with difficult physical comedy, which many Harvard actors find alien; Wilson’s staging of the show’s legendary opener, “Comedy Tonight,” as well as the romp, “Everybody Ought to Have a Maid,” were particularly impressive.

Although Wilson’s contribution was substantial, it must be said that a director is only as good as the talent with whom he works. And Wilson worked with cast one of the most talented groups of people I have yet seen on a Harvard stage.

The supporting characters were, on the whole, sharply cast and incredibly well played. Kevin Angle ’03 and Sarah Kerman ’02 beautifully rendered the young lovers, Hero and Philia, effectively selling the usually overdone “Lovely.”

Andy Pasquesi ’04 contributed a perfect portrayal of the outrageously arrogant Miles Gloriosus.

And, with his distinctive voice and physical genius, Ken Herrera ’03 made a fantastic flesh-peddling Marcus Lycus.

As for the rest of the supporting cast, if Rachel Eisenhaure ’02 lacked the vocal strength and stage presence needed to make her character, Domina, shine, Brian Gatten ’01 was a bright spot in an already stunning group, turning in a scene-stealing performance as her frustrated husband, Senex.

The Proteans, Forum’s extras who fill many a role, were amusing—and Lycus’ girls were arousing—but the supporting players were led by an absolutely brilliant turn by Scott Rowen (’03), as Hysterium.

Rowen sparkled, seeming at ease with both the ridiculous and the more subtle comic moments, particularly shining in the reprise of “Lovely” and in his own solo, “I’m Calm.”

Forum, while an ensemble piece, also has an indisputable leading player, Pseudolus, who has been enthusiastically tackled on Broadway by comic greats ranging from Zero Mostel to Phil Silvers to Nathan Lane.

In this production, Matt Johnson ’01-’02, one of Harvard’s most talented took his crack at the role and, by any reasonable standard, did a terrific job with a demanding part. On stage through much of the show, interacting with every character and audience member, Johnson’s Pseudolus was thoroughly enjoyable. He absolutely owned the stage during his physical bits, and his interactions with Hysterium were priceless, especially the already lauded reprise of “Lovely.”

Disappointing, however, was Johnson’s difficulty with the moments that called for more of an understated delivery.

One would expect Johnson, having most recently appeared in A Lion in Winter, a piece filled with dry humor and witty barbs that he handled quite effectively, to flourish with Pseudolus’s sarcasm; nevertheless, Johnson seemed to gloss over a number of moments that could have been brilliant.

That said, Matt Johnson must be given credit for leading a fantastic cast, and leading it quite well.

Though a few unobtrusive additions to the book cropped up, only the most stringent purist would object; this production was very true to the exceptional material.

The classic three-house set was beautifully crafted by one of Harvard’s best set designers, Pippa Brashear ’01, along with director Wilson.

The small pit of a piano and drums was superb and dealt skillfully with any instrumental problems so that they went unnoticed by most of the audience.

The talented cast and crew put together a fantastic evening of entertainment; they promised “something for everyone, a comedy tonight,” and they more than delivered.

—Staff writer Jeremy W. Blocker can be reached at blocker@fas.harvard.edu.