Cambridge Laws May Hinder Field Fix

By Lauren R. Dorgan, Crimson Staff Writer

Passion for the pigskin might fall victim to passion for public health in Cambridge this year, as the city’s ardent activism hinders plans to refurbish the high school football field.

On the eve of city elections two years ago, the Cambridge City Council unanimously passed what City Manager Robert W. Healy dubbed “the most stringent ordinance in the history of the U.S. on asbestos.”

As a result, improving Russell Field may be prohibitively expensive. Healy estimated costs of testing and construction to be $13.5- $38 million dollars.

The field, the home of the Cambridge Rindge and Latin Falcons, has arsenic in its soil. But public health officials have deemed the amount negligible. There is no risk whatsoever to users of the field, according to Healy.

Healy’s estimate sparked looks of dismay at the council meeting last night. Councillors immediately discussed revising the ordinance.

“What I would hope is that you’ll come back to the council with every alternative you can come up with—including revising the ordinance,” Councillor David P. Maher said.

Separately, the council passed a measure of support last night for a pending state bill that would prevent Harvard’s properties in Watertown—and the properties of other nonprofit organizations—from receiving tax-exempt status. The resolution also calls for Healyto investigate ways that Cambridge can retain revenue from property purchased by currently tax-exempt organizations.

The council meeting started nearly two hours late, due to an unannounced welcoming ceremony for Silvio D’Amante, mayor of Gaeta, Italy, and his family, who came for a celebration last weekend of Gaeta’s Cambridge heritage.

“When you come to Gaeta, there’s no stopping me,” D’Amante said through his translator. “I am a wonderful, wonderful host.”

James Williamson, a candidate in Cambridge’s upcoming election, chastised the council for the meeting’s lateness.

“I think it shows a contempt for the public,” Williamson said. “Make sure that in the agenda you have indication of when these ceremonial events are going to take place.”

—Staff writer Lauren R. Dorgan can be reached at dorgan@fas.harvard.edu.