Persevering Through the Pain

University's sensitive response to a national tragedy has been admirable and should continue

By The CRIMSON Staff

Students walked quietly and quickly to classes yesterday, the first day of Harvard’s 365th academic year. Yet thoughts and conversations lingered on Tuesday’s catastrophic events in New York, Pennsylvania and Washington, D.C., with most professors prefacing their opening lectures with words of solace and support for those in attendance. The solemn mood on campus stood in sharp contrast to the excitement that has accompanied the start of past school years, but within the somber atmosphere in Harvard Yard there also existed a sense of continuity and resolve. Despite the traumatic and still unfolding developments of the previous 24 hours, the Harvard community had determined to move forward with its plans unchanged by the actions of terrorists.

To move forward, however, did not mean to move on. Within hours of the attacks, University President Lawrence H. Summers and Dean of the Faculty Jeremy R. Knowles had contacted students, faculty and other members of the Harvard community acknowledging the violence and recognizing students’ subsequent anguish and anxiety. Administrators and others were urged to be lenient with students needing time to recover from the painful events of the morning. House Masters, proctors and University- and student-run support services should also be lauded for their prompt and ongoing response to a tragedy no one could have imagined, let alone anticipated.

After initial expressions of respect and consideration for those affected by the attacks, the start of classes yesterday was a meaningful way for the University to show its refusal to bend to acts of terrorism. In the coming days, Harvard must maintain the spirit of its initial response, continuing work while remaining sensitive to individual needs. Professors should be willing to provide information and academic advice throughout shopping period for students who missed yesterday’s classes, while students should be especially conscious of the feelings of others. We also hope and expect that those directly affected by the tragedies would be permitted reasonable extensions for fellowships and other deadlines set before Tuesday’s terrible events.

Harvard acted correctly in continuing on with its original schedule for the academic year, but it must do so while remaining mindful of the mourning that marked this past week.