W. Soccer Edges Blue Devils for Win

By Lande A. Spottswood, Contributing Writer

It was a day of firsts for the Harvard women’s soccer team.

Freshman Alisha Moran scored her first collegiate goal to lift the Crimson (1-1) to its first victory of the season in a 1-0 thriller over Central Connecticut State.

In the 43rd minute, junior Orly Ripmaster sent the ball across the face of the goal to Moran who calmly deposited the ball in the back of the net to give Harvard a narrow win in its first road contest of the season.

Junior forward Beth Totman was also credited with an assist on the goal.

“Alisha Moran was right where she was supposed to be,” said captain Caitlin Costello. “She calmly and nonchalantly placed the ball in the back of the goal. We were just glad she was there.”

The Crimson outshot the Blue Devils (0-4-1) 21-5 on the afternoon and controlled the ball and pace of play for most of the game.

Totman and sophomore midfielder Katie Westfall, last year’s Ivy League Rookie of the Year, combined to take 10 of Harvard’s shots on goal.

Despite eight shots by the Crimson in the second half, Harvard could not add to its lead after the break.

However, the Crimson’s stifling defense allowed only one Blue Devil shot in the second half and junior goalie Cheryl Gunther registered three saves to post her first shutout of the season.

It is the fourth time in five games this season that Central Connecticut has been shut out.

“Overall it was a good perforance, but we are still struggling to put the ball in the net,” said Blue Devil Coach Mike D’Arcy. “Even though Harvard took a lot of shots, our goal keepers performed well without having to make any great saves.”

Freshman Sabrina Mariani and senior Sarah Decormier combined for 13 saves for the Blue Devils, with Mariani allowing the lone goal. Central Connecticut was able to keep the game close by adding a defense oriented 4-5-1 formation to the goaltending tandem’s solid performance.

“They basically put everyone on defense, but we kept pushing and kept moving,” Costello said. “We had a great game.”

Yesterday’s game, which was originally scheduled for September 12, was postponed due to the cancellation of all Harvard athletic events last week. It was Harvard’s first game since a season-opening 5-4 loss to the Colorado College Tigers on Sept. 9.

Against the Tigers, Harvard led 4-3 with only 1:15 remaining, when Jessica Reyes sent the game into overtime with her fourth goal of the game. Yesterday, though, the Crimson defense held its lead.

“We were able to hold onto the lead, because we worked so hard on defense this week. You really have to credit our defense,” Costello said.

The Crimson will host Brown this Saturday at noon to begin its Ivy League play.