W. Volleyball Beats UNH, Falls to Fairfield

By Lande A. Spottswood, Contributing Writer

In a match much closer than the final score indicated, the Harvard womens volleyball team lost for the first time this season 3-0 to Fairfield yesterday afternoon at the Malkin Athletic Center. The defeat came less than 24 hours after the Crimsons biggest victory of the season, a 3-1 triumph at New Hampshire on Saturday night.

We had a great match [Saturday] night, said Harvard Coach Jennifer Weiss. We played at a fast pace, and we knew [Sundays] game would be the same way. We played point for point with Fairfield, but we didnt play at our top speed.

Harvard (4-1) was led by a balanced offensive attack in both games, getting major contributions from several players.

Captain Erin Denniston, who was named Ivy Player of the Week for her performance in the New England Challenge, had 29 kills on the weekend. Freshman outside hitter Kaego Ogbechie added 30 kills and 28 digs, while three other Crimson players registered double-digit kill totals in at least one of the matches.

There are a lot of hitters on our team, Weiss said. We are really trying to diversify our offense.

FAIRFIELD 3, HARVARD 0

The Crimson and the Stags (5-4) battled through two fiercely competitive games before Fairfield finally took control late in the third game. With the score knotted at 22-22, the Stags scored eight of the final nine points to complete the three-game sweep, 30-23.

We learned today that that we need to stick with it the whole game, Denniston said. We were in the game the whole time, but we just couldnt push through at the end.

After falling behind quickly, 11-2, in the first game, Weiss called a timeout to regroup her team. The Crimson fought its way back after the break, pulling even at 17-17 when junior setter Mindy Jellin transformed a broken play into a highlight, hitting a long shot backwards over her head that the Stags could not return.

Neither team led by more than two points for the remainder of the game. Leading 33-32, Fairfield finally took the game when sophomore outside hitter Laurie Brands blocked freshman outside hitter Pernilla Schweitzers kill attempt.

The second game featured seven lead changes and was dead-locked all the way through. Both teams struggled to post kills, with Harvard hitting a sub-par .105 and the Stags a mediocre .217. With Fairfield leading 29-28, Ogbechie came up with a monster block, one of four on the afternoon, to tie the game. But the Stags scored two consecutive points to take the game and a 2-0 lead with a 31-29 win.

Ogbechie posted Harvards only double-double, leading the team in both kilss (13) and digs (15). Sophomore Mariah Pospisil registered 12 kills and six blocks. Denniston added 10 kills, and fellow captain Jellin picked up 41 assists.

HARVARD 3, NEW HAMPSHIRE 1

After fighting for a pair of two-point victories (31-29, 30-28) in the first two games and dropping the third 31-29, the Crimson won the decisive fourth game against the Wildcats (5-5) 30-21 to remain undefeated.

Though Denniston was the star, Harvard won with a very balanced offensive and defensive effort. Five Crimson players registered double-digit kill totals and six reached at least 10 digs. Denniston led Harvard with 19 in both categories, and Jellin posted 62 assists.

We are getting great leadership from Erin and Mindy, Weiss said. The changes we ask them to make, they are making.

Junior outside hitter Nicole Meunier also made major contributions, adding 14 kills to the Harvard attack.

Niki Meunier just lit it up for us, Weiss said.

The stellar freshmen tandem of Schweitzer and Ogbechie was also impressive. Both posted double-doubles, with Schweitzer registering 10 kills and 16 digs and Ogbechie 17 kills and 13 digs.

The Crimson will travel to play Northeastern at 1pm Tuesday.