See Reich Run

Former labor secretary ought to have a place on Bay State's Democratic primary ballot

By The CRIMSON Staff

The announcement by former U.S. Secretary of Labor Robert B. Reich of his gubernatorial bid last Wednesday was a welcome turn of events for the Massachusetts political landscape. However, due to the late start of his campaign, Reich could face difficulty garnering 15 percent of the roughly 5,000 party delegates that are required to gain a place on the Democratic primary ballot. Many of these delegates will be chosen in local party caucuses on Feb. 2. We urge those caucuses to put Reich on the ballot this fall, so that Massachusetts voters will enjoy a wider array of possible choices.

The particularly liberal platform that Reich has begun to outline will be a valuable contribution to the gubernatorial race. Without making a premature endorsement of his candidacy, we anticipate that the emphasis in Reich’s platform on working-class citizens and income inequalities would likely lead to discussion of many topics that might have otherwise remained underrepresented in the campaign. The more varied public debate on issues important to voters, the better off Massachusetts Democrats will be, regardless of their ultimate choice in the primary election.

In addition, Reich, who is currently a professor of social and economic policy at Brandeis University, has never run for political office before. His largely academic background may lead to a different sort of campaign than those to which Massachusetts voters are accustomed. Furthermore, Reich’s reputation and work for the Clinton administration will undoubtedly add to public interest in the election.

The Crimson is also pleased to learn of the role that Harvard played in Reich’s decision to join the race. Reich said that a November interview he had with the class Religion 1529, “Personal Choice and Global Transformation,” was a “profound moment” for him, and he added that later that day he began to explore a run for governor.

Though Reich lacks insider status in the Massachusetts political establishment, this should not prevent him from having a place on the primary ballot. His candidacy should prove to be a breath of fresh air in the stale atmosphere of Massachusetts politics.