Seniors Nab Free Tickets to The Game

By Lisa M. Puskarcik, Contributing Writer

A steady flow of seniors picked up free tickets at the Murr Center yesterday during the first day of ticket distribution for the 119th installment of the Harvard-Yale football game.

This year marks the first year that The Game, which will be played on Nov. 23, is free to Harvard undergraduates.

According to a list of detailed ticketing instructions that graced House e-mail lists last week, ticket distribution for seniors continues through tomorrow, followed by three days for juniors to pick up their tickets, and so on.

Students yesterday could pick up free tickets for themselves and other seniors, provided they presented a student ID for each ticket. In previous years, tickets for all undergraduates were $12.

Seniors could also purchase $29 tickets for student section seats for non-undergraduate friends.

Grace E. Bloodwell ’03, a ticket office worker, said that students are generally happy that tickets are free and don’t mind the trek across the river.

“There’s a free ticket at the end of the two-minute walk,” she said.

The first day of ticket distribution did see some students complain about the inconvenience of the ticket office’s hours on the other side of the river.

Ruben Marinelarena ’03, who made the trip to the Murr Center with three senior friends, said the office’s 10 a.m.-5 p.m. hours aren’t conducive to students’ schedules, and picking up tickets was hard to work into his day.

Other students said they had hoped that ticket distribution could be moved to a more central location like the Harvard Box Office in Holyoke Center.

Athletic ticket office director Michael Correa said the office “did contemplate opening a satellite location, but it didn’t work logistically.”

Due to the change in ticketing procedures combined with a busy Harvard Box Office season, the ticket office has to heavily rely upon its student workers to expedite the ticketing process.

A group of Winthrop seniors appeared at the ticket office late in the afternoon having acquired 40 IDs through e-mails to friends and roommates.

They were assigned to two rows in section 34, the senior section.

Section 35 is designated for juniors, 36 for sophomores and 37 for first-years, though spill-over is based on seniority. There is a possibility that first-years and others late to pick up tickets may have to sit in overflow seating in the end zone.

Though the Winthrop group offered the suggestion that seating sections should be designated by House, they were generally happy that the tickets were free.

“The hassle is worth [saving] 12 bucks,” said Winthrop resident Thomas J. Mucha ’03.