W. Volleyball Still Holds Ivy Lead Despite Split

By Lande A. Spottswood, Crimson Staff Writer

For the first time this Ivy season, the Harvard women’s volleyball season wasn’t perfect. But it was good enough to remain in first place.

The Crimson (12-7, 7-1 Ivy) rebounded from a 3-1 setback to Penn on Friday—its first league loss of the season—to sweep past Princeton 3-0 and stay atop the Ivy standings.

“[Rebounding from the loss] showed a lot of character,” said Harvard coach Jen Weiss. “But that’s the kind of team we are.”

The Crimson remains a game up in the win column over the Quakers, who crushed Dartmouth 3-0 on Saturday to improve to 6-1 in the league.

With Penn set to visit Harvard on Nov. 8, the Crimson controls its own destiny.

“They’re definitely beatable,” Weiss said. “We’re excited to have them back in Cambridge.”

Harvard next plays at Brown on Friday and Yale on Saturday.

Harvard 3, Princeton 0

With first place on the line, the Crimson seized the momentum early on its way to a 3-0 (30-18, 34-32, 30-23) victory over the Tigers (11-4, 4-3).

After almost pulling out game two, a scrappy Princeton squad stayed close with Harvard through much of game three.

But with the Crimson clinging to a 21-19 lead, sophomore sensation Kaego Ogbechie powered a spike into the center of the court untouched, keying a Harvard rally.

The Crimson claimed four of five points to take a 25-20 lead before coasting to the match-clinching victory.

Ogbechie posted a match-high 23 kills along with 12 digs and a monstrous .514 kill average.

Sophomore outside hitter Pernilla Schweitzer also contributed a double-double, chipping in 12 kils and a team-high 15 digs.

Senior captain and setter Mindy Jellin added 48 assists.

Penn 3, Harvard 1

Playing in front of the rowdiest crowd they will see all season, the Quakers (15-4, 6-1) played their best match of the year to beat the Crimson, 3-1 (30-24, 24-30, 30-15, 30-20).

With more than 400 students camped inside The Palestra waiting to reserve basketball season tickets, the battle between the Ivy’s top two squads became a showcase event.

“There were 400 guy basketball fans, and they were all yelling ‘HARVARD... HARVARD... HARVARD...You suck!’” said sophomore setter Kim Gould.

The Crimson failed to perform at its best for the crowd.

After battling back from a game one loss to tie the match at 1-1, Harvard had its momentum abruptly halted when the Quakers rolled to a 30-15 game three victory behind the power play of junior middle blocker Heather Janssen. Janssen posted 24 kills and six blocks.

“Penn played really well, and we didn’t step up to the plate,” Weiss said.

Ogbechie led the Crimson with 19 kills and 18 digs.

Schweitzer and junior outside hitter Allison Bendush also had double-doubles, while Jellin posted 45 assists and 13 digs.

—Staff writer Lande A. Spottswood can be reached at spottsw@fas.harvard.edu.