Knot Your Typical UHS Experience

Some dutiful and unsuspecting Harvard parents might be a little befuddled upon receiving their next termbill. There it will be,
By Emily S. High

Some dutiful and unsuspecting Harvard parents might be a little befuddled upon receiving their next termbill. There it will be, stamped on the bill over and over and over again, commanding their money, their parental worry, their attention. University Health Services. University Health Services. University Health Services.

However, upon closer investigation the parents will discover that their little darling is far from living the life of an invalid. Instead he or she is spending lazy afternoons lounging on leather chairs, living the life of the pampered genius.

This year UHS has been boldly advertising their massage and relaxation program, with advertisements that dangle on the window of the UHS pharmacy. “10 minute massages for $10,” the posters boast, reminiscent of the cheap beauty parlor ad campaigns that speckle the streets of New York.

Lisa Santoro, who is the founder of the massage therapy program at the Center for Wellness and Health Communication, began to provide short massage sessions for students eight years ago, and the program has only grown since its launch. There are now several licensed massage therapists on staff, specializing in techniques such as shiatsu, sports injury, deep tissue and general relaxation. Stressed-out students can make pilgrimages to UHS, where they can pay for massage therapy with check, credit card or the trusty termbill. These mini-massages are available Wednesdays from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. at the Center for Wellness and Health Communication and Fridays from noon to 2 p.m. at the UHS pharmacy in the Holyoke Center.

As an extension of the “mini-massage” promotion, students can also sign up for 15-minute sessions of seated massage therapy at the Malkin Athletic Center (MAC). The dollar-a-minute fee still holds for these sessions, in which the UHS cast of characters simply move their act to a new locale. Santoro says this promotion—which is held at the MAC on alternating Mondays and Tuesdays—represents an effort by UHS to appeal to more students. Walk-ins are fine as long as there’s still an available therapist, though most recommend reserving a session at least one day in advance. Massage therapist Bob Collins holds that the program is “one of the best-kept secrets at Harvard.” Katy D. Thompson ’03, who sampled a massage during free sessions last month, calls the program “really great” but says she would like to see the program offer discounts for Harvard athletes.

At the UHS haunt in the MAC, massage chairs are set up on the ground floor, overlooking the pool. The methodical splashing of the water aerobic classes is surprisingly relaxing white noise that enriches the experience. Students can choose from masseurs and masseuses, who employ a variety of relaxation techniques during any given session. UHS therapists target all the major points of tension, including upper and lower back, shoulders, neck and even hands, always providing a major upgrade from the tepid massages of roommates and lovers from days past.

For The Moment