Letters

Kuumba Singer Missed Chance to Make Change

Letter to the Editors

By Danielle M. Brown

To the editors:

The recent op-ed by Savannah J. Frierson ’05 (“On Display with Kuumba,” Nov. 12) is right about one thing: the Kuumba Singers are often on display at Harvard as an outstanding multicultural organization that celebrates an art which has often been pushed aside. However, I feel strongly that Frierson has taken a very negative view of an occurrence that could have been a true opportunity for her. She notes that the reunion participants were confused when Kuumba entered the room. Couldn’t this be from the fact that none of them would know Kuumba, since the group wouldn’t even exist until 13 years after these people left the Harvard campus—not to mention that a cappella barely existed on campus at that time?

Kuumba was hired to provide entertainment at this event and was ushered in and out as such, just like any other entertainment group. A major portion of Kuumba’s audience is white, even at their major concerts in Sanders, and I strongly doubt that the sold-out crowds come to see a minstrel show.

Of course, I cannot speak or apologize for every insensitive comment that will fall on Frierson’s ears from all types of people, from old rich white males who went to Harvard to community members who doubt the true blackness of black people at Harvard. Perhaps this particular audience was rather cold and unreceptive. Whether a true effort to bridge these gaps was made on either side, however, is unclear from the writing.

What I can say though, as a former member and leader of this group whose power I have witnessed, is that members like Frierson herself have the ability and opportunity to create the change she wishes for in her op-ed. Frierson notes that she had dismal expectations of the group before her performance began. Poor expectations will always breed poor results. Situations such as this alumni event require more of an effort from students, not less, which is a difficult but honorable responsibility to bear.

Danielle M. Brown ’02

San Francisco, Calif.

Nov. 13, 2002

The writer is a former member of the Kuumba Singers.

Letters