Keeping Rank: W. Hockey Breezes by Northeastern

By Sean W. Coughlin, Contributing Writer

No records were set and no highlight film was necessary. The Harvard women’s hockey team got the job done in a 4-0 victory over Northeastern at the Bright Center on Saturday.

Led by a relentless offensive attack and a stifling defensive effort, the No. 1 Crimson (8-1) took 39 shots on goal while holding the Huskies (5-8-2) to just 10.

“We played with a lot of grit tonight,” said freshman Julie Chu. “We were never disrupted by Northeastern’s efforts.”

Leading the offensive barrage, senior winger Tracy Catlin tallied three points on one goal and two assists. Her first goal came 13:46 into the first period, when her shot deflected off the skate of Husky goalie Chanda Gunn, putting the Crimson up 1-0.

“I just tried to bring it tonight,” Catlin said.

In the first period, the Crimson defense was especially strong, allowing only two feeble shots on target. Both were easily discarded by junior goaltender Jessica Ruddock, who was perfect on the night, recording her second shutout of the year.

Prior to the game, Northeastern coach Joy Woog claimed that her team had “the advantage by far” in goal. After watching Gunn, her counterpart across the ice, allow four goals, Ruddock deflected Woog’s comment.

“I think it’s a huge advantage for us, when opposing teams see [me] as a weak spot,” Ruddock said. “It distracts their focus.”

Chu credited the defense for sealing the game.

“Northeastern had no chance on the one-on-one,” Chu said.

Chu herself had a strong night as a vital part of the Crimson offense. Playing the role of garbage-woman, Chu slapped a deflected shot from Catlin past an outstretched Gunn to cap off the Crimson scoring, 12:33 into the final period.

“I just tried to be very aware the entire game tonight,” Chu said. “I never wanted to lose the focus of putting the puck in the goal.”

Five minutes into the second period, Harvard’s defensive prowess opened the door for an unassisted goal by captain Angela Ruggerio.

On what seemed to be a Northeastern breakaway, the Crimson defense surrounded Husky center Kathryn Sands, stifling any hope for a shot. The puck was quickly corralled by Ruggerio, who proceeded to score, giving the Crimson a 2-0 advantage.

The third, and probably most spectacular, goal of the night came on a breakaway from sophomore Kat Sweet. After a perfectly timed-pass across the ice from Catlin, Sweet left all defenders behind her and shot the puck stickside just past the outstretched Gunn.

The Crimson’s mere four goal output dropped its nation-leading goals per game average to 6.62.