Letters

Little To Laugh At in Lampooning of Bush

Letter

By H. JOSHUA Glassman

To the editors:

I found Garrett Grolemund’s portrayal of President George W. Bush as fighting a lengthy war on terror in order to continue his popularity absolutely asinine (Cartoon, Feb. 8). I wish Grolemund would wake up to the fact that there are hundreds of thousands of people around the world willing to die in order to inflict damage on the United States. If America stopped fighting this war now, we would be leaving the vast majority of terrorists free to hijack planes, blow up buildings and create weapons of mass destruction.

This is a war about the future of freedom. This is inevitably a lengthy battle because of the sheer size and scope of the global terror network. Quite simply, it’s a battle to protect free individuals from living in fear. It’s a shame that some close-minded, biased, partisan Americans like Grolemund cannot appreciate the consequences of inaction and instead criticize our leaders who are working day and night against all odds to prevent the events of Sept. 11 from ever happening again. Grolemund’s foolish sketch and his play on Operation Enduring Freedom (Popularity) are simply wrong.

H. Joshua Glassman ’02

Feb. 8, 2002

Letters