W. Hockey Overpowers Vermont After Dartmouth Misstep

Haggard’s Goal Sinks Crimson on Friday; Harvard unleashes 66 shots on net in 3-0 win over Catamounts

By David Weinfeld, Contributing Writer

The Harvard women’s hockey team split its weekend double-header, falling just short of No. 5 Dartmouth 3-2 and overwhelming Vermont 3-0.

Harvard 3, Vermont 0

The Crimson (12-9-1, 6-4-1 ECAC North) dominated the entire game, outshooting the Catamounts 66-8. Only the stupendous play of Vermont junior goalie Tiffany Hayes, who recorded an impressive 63 saves, kept them in the game.

Harvard Coach Katey Stone gave sophomore goaltender Emily Smith her first start of her career. In only the second appearance of her career, Smith had a considerably easier time, recording a shutout.

“Saturday against Vermont was a bit trying for us,” said Harvard senior goalie Alison Kuusisto. “They have a really awesome goaltender who is the backbone of their team. She definitely was the game. We completely dominated all aspects, but their goaltender kept the score from indicating that.”

After being held off the scoreboard against Dartmouth, ending her point-scoring streak at 11 games, freshman forward Nicole Corriero returned to her scoring ways against Vermont (0-21-1, 0-12).

Breaking down the right wing, Corriero whisked the puck over to junior forward Kalen Ingram who one-timed it home with thirty seconds remaining in the first period.

“We played pretty well this weekend, but were lacking in the finish area,” Corriero said. “We had plenty of chances to put away the Dartmouth game and didn’t, and we could have easily blown away Vermont and didn’t..”

Corriero netted her 24th goal of the season midway through the third period. Freshmen defender Ashley Banfield fired a shot from the point. Sophomore forward Lauren McAuliffe’s rebound attempt failed, but Corriero was able to bang the puck by Hayes.

McAuliffe later added an empty netter to put the game away. Junior defenseman and captain Jamie Hagerman and freshman forward Kat Sweet assisted on the play.

After a rest on Saturday, Kuusisto is very excited about this Tuesday’s Beanpot final against Boston College. For Kuusisto, this is her chance to make history by being on four straight Beanpot championship teams.

“This one is an extremely special one for me,” Kuusisto said.

Dartmouth 3, Harvard 2

The Crimson had its hands full against the Dartmouth (16-3-2, 8-1-0).

“We came into the game really fired up, especially with a lot of momentum and confidence from the Northeastern game.,” Kuusisto said. “We played with a lot of heart and fire, but weren’t able to put the puck away.”

Dartmouth and Harvard took 10 shots a piece in the first but both failed to score.

The Crimson opened the scoring four minutes in to the second. Sweet scored on a one-timer from junior forward Tracy Catlin, who took the puck into the zone herself.

Harvard’s inability to clear the puck and take out the skater in front proved decisive.

“[Kuusisto] played the best game of her career,” Hagerman said. “She made the first and second saves on all the shots but we were just not able to pick up the trailer which was how they got two of the goals.”

Freshman Cheryl Muranko netted Dartmouth’s first goal off a rebound four minutes after Sweet’s goal.

Dartmouth took the lead when Krista Dornfried scored on a clear shot in front of the net.

The Crimson gave the Big Green a dose of its own medicine in the third period. Catlin picked up the rebound off a Hagerman shot from the point and put it past Dartmouth goaltender Amy Ferguson for her third goal in the past two games.

The deciding goal, scored with less than five minutes to play, followed a similar pattern.

Junior forward Carly Haggard, the nation’s leading scorer, scored after the third rebound in a scramble in front of the net.

“They got a lucky break at the end of the third,” Hagerman said.. “Haggard got the rebound and we were just not able to pick her up.”

Overall, Harvard outshot Dartmouth 32-27, though the Crimson were outshot 10-7 in the third period.

“Hopefully we will see them again in the playoffs and we know what it will take to beat them,” Hagerman said.

The Crimsons look forward to defending its Beanpot Championship against Boston College on Tuesday, at Northeastern. Harvard has won the title past three years.

“We’re definitely psyched going into the Beanpot finals,” Corriero said. “We know that we have to play a lot better than we did this weekend.”