M. Swimmming Dominates H-Y-P- Meet

By Tamara P. Miller, Crimson Staff Writer

The annual Harvard-Yale-Princeton tournament is always one of the biggest meets for the Harvard men’s swimming and diving team. This year the Crimson looked to stay undefeated and to avenge last season’s loss to Princeton. It accomplished those goals as it marched into New Haven this weekend and demolished both of its rivals.

Harvard (6-0) defeated Princeton (5-2) 191-162 and Yale (6-1) 194-159. Princeton also lost to Yale in a close race, 177-176.

Crimson swimmers won seven events and had swimmers place in the top three in all but one event. Sophomore John Cole was the leading point scorer for Harvard, winning three events including the 200-yard freestyle, the 1650-yard freestyle and the 500-yard freestyle. In the 200-yard freestyle, Cole beat second place Bulldog James Cocks by more than a full second.

The diving squad did its part to pitch in for the win as sophomore Enrique Roy earned second place in both the one-meter and three-meter competitions. Roy lost in both events to Yale sophomore Josh Gallant.

“We are usually neck and neck, but I missed a few dives so he ended up beating me,” said Roy about the one-meter competition.

Roy was very pleased with his second place in the three-meter.

“Gallant is unbeatable at three-meter,” said Roy, “and I dove a personal best.”

Gallant only scored four points higher than Roy, who considers himself stronger on one-meter than on three-meter. Both Roy and senior diver Erik Frost had their best meets of the season in the three-meter competition.

Overall the team was content with its performance at HYPs. The diving win over Princeton helped set the tone for the second day of the meet. The team began Saturday with a huge win in the 200-yard medley relay, which was then followed by the three-meter competition. Junior Dan Shevchik continued the winning streak as he took first in the 200-yard individual medley.

Later in the day senior Kyle Egan had an incredible win in the 100-yard butterfly over Princteon flyer Jessie Gage, who is arguably the top in the conference.

“It was a big momentum builder for our team,” captain John Persinger said.

The team used the energy of Egan’s win to push on and hold the lead through the end of the competition.

“Overall it was a great team effort,” Persinger said. “No one individual won this for us. It was a sign of how well we have come together as a team. The victory shows the potential that we have for the end of the season. This was a great stepping stone.”

The team hopes that the momentum of this win will last to NCAAs.

Harvard will compete against Dartmouth and Cornell Saturday in Hanover and then will host Pennsylvania on Sunday.