W. Hockey Falls to Rival Dartmouth in ECAC Semifinals

Freshman EMILY HAIGH (6) was one of several young Harvard players who made an 18-win season possible.
By David Weinfeld, Crimson Staff Writer

The ride is over. The Harvard women’s hockey team, written off all year, ended its roller-coaster season with a 4-2 loss to tournament host Dartmouth in Saturday’s ECAC North semifinal.

The Crimson had dropped both regular season contests with favored Dartmouth, 3-2. Both games had been close though the Big Green nonetheless displaying a clear advantage.

But on Saturday, No. 9 Harvard (18-11-2) outplayed No. 4 Dartmouth (24-5-2), outshooting the Big Green in every period and 29-19 overall. Despite controlling the play, the Crimson could not convert on its chances.

“It’s the worst feeling in the world to lose,” junior defender and captain Jamie Hagerman said. “But to know that we dominated, to know that they know that we dominated is nice.”

The Crimson outshot the Big Green 7-5 in the opening frame, but it was the Big Green who broke the ice with a goal in the 16th minute by Louise Pietrangelo, who scored on a screen shot.

In the second period, Harvard’s advantage was even more pronounced. The Crimson doubled Dartmouth’s shot total 14-7, but still only the Big Green lit the lamp as junior Megan Walton scored on a breakaway at 3:44.

In the third period, Dartmouth again opened the scoring as junior forward Amy Catlin—twin sister of Harvard junior center Tracy—scored less than two minutes in.

Harvard finally began its comeback early in the third period. Three minutes after Amy Catlin’s tally, Hagerman netted her fifth goal of the season, banging in her own rebound after a two-on-one pass from junior center Kalen Ingram.

Ingram added a goal midway through the period, beating Ferguson on her backhand, but it was too little too late.

Harvard failed to score the rest of the way, and Dartmouth forward Kim McCullough added an empty-netter with a second left in the game.

Once again, Harvard’s power play—the most effective in the nation as of Friday—proved ineffective against Dartmouth. The Crimson went 0-5 with an extra skater.

Saturday’s loss was the final game for Harvard seniors Alison Kuusisto and Vanessa Bazzocchi.

“It’s impossible to replace them and the way they compose us,” Hagerman said.

Harvard’s season came to an official end yesterday when the NCAA announced the 2002 Frozen Four of Minnesota, Minnesota-Duluth, Niagara and Brown. The Crimson exceeded expectations this year with 18 victories—including wins over Niagara and Brown—and a fourth straight Beanpot crown.

Dartmouth was in position to make the Frozen Four with a victory over Brown in the ECAC championship on its home ice yesterday, but fell 4-3 in overtime, much to Harvard’s delight. Harvard is 2-8 against Dartmouth over the past three seasons.

“If our season is gonna end, it’s nice to see [Dartmouth’s] season end too,” Hagerman said.

Harvard will be in better position to beat Dartmouth itself next year with the addition of three Olympians—U.S. defensman Angela Ruggiero ’02-’04, Canadian forward Jennifer Botterill ’02-’03 and incoming freshman Julie Chu ’06.

“People have imagined a lot for us for next year,” Hagerman said. “If we have half the chemistry we had this year, we’ll be great.”

DARTMOUTH 4, HARVARD 2

at Thompson Arena, Hanover, N.H.

Harvard (18-11-2) 0 0 2 2

Dartmouth (24-5-2) 1 1 2 4

First period: D, Pietrangelo (Muranko, McCullough) 15:44. Second Period: D, Walton (Muranko), 3:44. Third Period: D, Catlin (McCullough) GWG 1:47. H, Hagerman (Ingram) 4:18. H, Ingram (Corriero, Van Reesema) 10:32. D, McCullough ENG 19:59. Shots on goal: H 7-14-8 29. D 5-7-7 19. Penalties: H 4-8, D 5-10. Power Play: H 0-5. D 0-4. Goalies: H, Kuusisto, (15-3). D, Ferguson (27-2) A: 1450.