Moore Resurgence Sparks Harvard’s NCAA Run

By Brenda Lee and Timothy M. Mcdonald, Crimson Staff Writers

“A great player makes great plays,” Harvard Coach Mark Mazzoleni said on Saturday night after the Crimson’s thrilling 4-3 double overtime win over Cornell in the ECAC championships.

One of the greatest plays in recent Crimson hockey memory is junior forward Dominic Moore’s 30-second domination of Brown that resulted in the game-winning goal, sending Harvard to the ECAC semifinals.

“Dom’s the best player on our team, the most talented,” sophomore winger Tyler Kolarik said.

In a double overtime nailbiter, Moore literally skated circles around the opposition. Following his initial shot, Moore scooped up the rebound, circled around the net and wristed the puck at Brown goalie Yann Danis.

Gathering up the rebound for a second time, he looped around the net once again and would not be denied in the third shot of the sequence.

By scoring his second goal of the tournament, Moore elevated his play at the season’s most crucial moment.

“I was fortunate to get some key goals at some key times,” Moore said.

In typical fashion, he understated his contribution to the team, as he was the leading goal scorer at the ECAC tournament with four tallies in as many games.

Perhaps more importantly, Moore set the tone for Harvard over the championship weekend. Scoring the first goal in both the semifinals against Clarkson and the finals, he gave the Crimson much-needed momentum in both contests.

Establishing an early lead is critical for the Harvard team, something with which it has struggled all season.

“Dom’s been a leader out there,” Kolarik said. “He’s done what we’ve asked him to do.”

During his career at Harvard, Moore has consistently provided the offensive spark for the Crimson. As a freshman, he led Harvard with 12 goals and was named the Ivy League Rookie of the Year.

Moore improved upon that performance his sophomore year, when he was named first team all-Ivy and second team all-ECAC. Moore also led the team in scoring, racking up 43 points with 15 goals and 28 assists.

So far this season, Moore is tied for first on the Crimson with 29 points. He has scored 13 goals with 16 assists and was named to the second team all-Ivy roster.

Moore’s strength lies in his superior stick-handling ability, his speed and his strong play on the puck. For three straight seasons, Moore has been the focus of the Crimson offense.

“Dom’s the kind of player as a linemate that you want to make space for on the ice,” sophomore winger Rob Fried said. “Once he gets a little bit of room with the puck, he’s dangerous.”

Moore was touted as a possible Hobey Baker candidate going into this season. But numbers to support these expectations have not fully materialized due to other teams keying their defense to stop Moore.

Before entering the playoffs, Moore was held without a goal in five consecutive games. With the advent of the ECAC tournament, however, he elevated his play and regained his scoring touch.

“Dom has definitely stepped up the last two weekends,” captain Peter Capouch said. “It’s nice to have him leading the offense.”

Such leadership will be instrumental if the Crimson is to defeat Maine this Saturday in the first round of the NCAA championship.

Against the Black Bears’ second-ranked team defense in the Hockey East conference, Moore will have to assert his presence early and often.

With his recent success, rumors have circulated regarding a possible early departure to the NHL. Moore was drafted in third round to the New York Rangers in the 2000 draft.

Moore appears to be committed to finishing his education and to furthering Crimson success on the ice, allaying Harvard’s fears of an early exit to the pros.

“I’m planning on returning next year and winning a championship,” Moore said.

But before any thoughts of next year emerge, Moore and the Crimson must focus on their next opponent, in Harvard’s first tournament appearance since 1994.

“We’re riding a pretty good streak now,” Moore said. “We’re a confident team. We’re hoping to carry our flag and do some damage on Saturday.”