Coverage for Alzheimer’s

Government’s decision to extend care will bring relief to victims and their families

By The CRIMSON Staff

For years, elderly Americans diagnosed with Alzheimer’s have been routinely denied Medicare coverage to treat the disease. The Bush administration has quietly changed that policy, telling Medicare carriers that they can no longer deny service to patients solely on the basis of Alzheimer’s. This enlightened decision, though costly in the short run, should eventually lead to savings for Medicare and related programs. But much more importantly, this change will drastically and immediately improve the quality of life for millions of Americans suffering from Alzheimer’s.

Over several years, Alzheimer’s takes a heavy toll. The disease begins with mild forgetfulness in familiar places, and it progresses over time to seriously impair judgment and the ability to perform daily activities. Senior citizens who were once independent are suddenly forced to rely on others for their care—a transition that is often startling and disorienting. And as parents and grandparents forget their children’s names, the disease can be a traumatic experience for families.

The recent change in policy will allow Alzheimer’s victims to receive crucial care as soon as the disease is diagnosed, giving patients immediate access to therapists that can help them arrest the consequences of the disease at the earliest opportunity. Part-time caregivers can help victims live in their own homes for longer, saving the massive cost of full-time nursing home care while also giving senior citizens the satisfaction of living in familiar surroundings. Psychotherapists can help patients deal with the emotional distress they face as memory begins to fade. Physical therapists can reinforce basic motor skills.

In addition, the change will relieve some of the pressure on victims’ families to provide constant care for Alzheimer’s victims. The ability to obtain expert care at the earliest possible point partially relieves victims’ families of the need to give that care themselves.

Until a cure is found for Alzheimer’s, the disease will continue to plague millions of America’s elderly. But until then, any change that provides earlier and better care for Alzheimer’s victims is an important step in the right direction.