Letters

Drug Reform Group Must Be Taken Seriously

Letter to the editor

By Thomas J. Scaramellino

To the editors:

The last issue of FM trivialized and misconstrued the goals of The Harvard Coalition for Drug Policy Reform (THCDPR) in a story by Stephanie E. Butler ’03 (Magazine feature, “Stoners of the World, Unite!” March 14).

Our cause, an important political movement that seeks to hold the government responsible for its failed and unjust policies, was given a small column with a joke headline. We want to make it clear that the THCDPR does not support the recreational use of marijuana or any other illegal drug. We advocate the decriminalization of cannabis in general because we refuse to believe that non-violent cannabis users are criminals—that is, dangers to society who need to be locked up in prison. In fact, prison often provides easier access to certain more dangerous drugs, thus perpetuating, rather than solving, the drug epidemic that faces this country today. Decriminalization would likely result in federal regulation to ensure an age limit, a proper time and place for such use, and civil penalties such as fines and community service for failure to abide by these guidelines.

The officers and members of THCDPR are conscientious citizens who seek to minimize the harms and risks of both drug use and drug policy in this country. We hope that in the future The Crimson will treat our group more seriously, as it would treat any other student group promoting political education and reform.

Thomas J. Scaramellino ’05

April 2, 2002

The writer is president of THCDPR.

Letters