First-Years’ Paw Prank Foiled by MIT Imposter

By Maria S. Pedroza, Crimson Staff Writer

After a month-long stint of holding a piece of MIT’s mascot captive, Harvard first-years in Holworthy Hall recently lost their prize to an imposter from down the river.

In defense of John Harvard’s honor, the first-years kidnapped the paw off the costume of the MIT mascot, Tim the Beaver, and participated in a series of attacks and counterattacks before MIT finally reclaimed the paw last month.

The prank began on St. Patrick’s Day, the day MIT was to unveil the design for the 2004 class ring. On hand for the ceremony was their mascot, Tim.

Wanting to get full use of the beaver suit, a group of about 15 MIT students traveled to Harvard Square with plans of wreaking havoc on the campus.

The students had the beaver climb onto the John Harvard statue and simulate sex acts.

Onlooking MIT students cheered and took pictures while some sang songs.

In the middle of the hustle and bustle, one of Tim’s paws fell off.

Seeking revenge for the defamation of the statue, Stephen J. Robbins ’05 fled to Holworthy with the paw.

Paw-keeper and Holworthy resident Matthew J. Rioth ’05 said he was confused by MIT’s motives.

“I don’t know why MIT would want pictures of their mascot fellating our statue,” he said. “It just doesn’t seem like something you would want to publicize.”

After word of Harvard’s theft spread around MIT, and the group was charged $650 by the costume rental agency for the missing beaver paw, MIT assembled an attack team.

Led by MIT junior Rhett Creighton, a group of about 25 MIT students descended on the Yard, once more, with one goal—returning the paw to Tim.

Armed with water guns, covered in face paint and sporting fatigues, the group entered Holworthy 9 through the window.

The MIT students knew where the paw was because several people had seen Robbins flee on St. Patrick’s Day.

Paul F. Gilligan ’05 said he heard the nasal screams of “We want the paw!” and prepared to defend the room from an attack.

Just before the MIT students arrived, Gilligan and his roommates decided to move the paw off of its ceremonious place on the wall and hide it under Robbins’ desk.

The crowd did not spot the paw and Gilligan shooed away the “frail-looking” MIT students.

Unsuccessful and woefully beaver-less, the MIT students forged a plan to reclaim the paw.

John A. Fries, a junior at MIT, then hatched the devious scheme of posing as a Crimson reporter to steal back the paw.

Fries did some research and posed as real-life Crimson editor William M. Rasmussen ’04, saying he was “Bill”—a nickname that Rasmussen never actually uses.

Gilligan said Fries was unprofessional and snivelling, so the first-years assumed that he was a new reporter assigned to write an easy, fun story.

Fries took copious notes and included a photo shoot outside of John Harvard’s restaurant in the story.

After snapping a few pictures, the Crimson-wannabe, wearing a brand-new Harvard t-shirt, ran off with the paw.

Gilligan was “shocked” at first, but proceeded to chase Fries.

The chase began outside of the restaurant, continued through the Square and the Yard and ended with Fries’ disappearance behind Lowell Lecture Hall.

Gilligan attributed the loss of the paw to darkness, rain and Robbins’ sandals.

Robbins said the experience made him “feel like a piece of putty. I was played with.”

—Crimson Staff writer Maria S. Pedroza can be reached at mpedroza@fas.harvard.edu.