Track Brief

By Crimson Staff, Crimson Staff Writer

The Harvard men’s track team, which for the past two years had placed next-to-last at the Outdoor Heptagonal championships, capped a season-long turnaround by placing third at this year’s championships at Navy. The finish behind Penn and Princeton was their best since 1983.

Crimson Junior Chris Lambert, running in his first season for Harvard, was named most outstanding athlete of the meet after setting wind-aided school and meet records in the 100 and 200-meter dash. His time of 10.19 seconds in the 100 beat his own personal best. He also anchored the school-record setting 4x100 team who placed second.

Lambert was hardly the only Crimson male athlete to have a career day. Co-captain Kobie Fuller won the 400 and took second behind Lambert in the 200 in a personal-best time. Juniors Nathan Shenk-Boright and Matt Seidel pulled off a difficult feat by each earning top-three finishes in both the 5,000 and 10,000 meter runs yesterday. D.J. Patterson was the one other Crimson winner, taking the discus with a 50-meter throw.

On the women’s side, Harvard placed fourth. Cornell won the meet by a stunning 187-109 margin over second-place Brown.

Harvard co-captain Nicky Grant improved upon her own school record with another personal best in the hammer—a 59.59 meter throw. Senior Kart Siilats in the high jump and junior Helena Ronner in the long jump and triple jump were Harvard’s other meet champions.

More detailed coverage of the Heptagonal Championships will appear in Wednesday’s edition of the Crimson.