New Dean Faces Challenges

Kirby’s background and personality will be significant assets in reforming curriculum

By The CRIMSON Staff

Replacing the charismatic Jeremy R. Knowles as Dean of the Faculty of Arts and Sciences (FAS), Geisinger Professor of History William C. Kirby has large shoes to fill and sizable issues to tackle. Nonetheless, Kirby has proven himself a capable administrator who has made improving Harvard’s undergraduate experience a top priority, and we are optimistic that he will make an immediate impact.

Kirby’s background as a scholar of Chinese history will balance a University administration, which features an economist and a scientist at the top, but had little representation from the humanities at its highest levels. This balance will help ensure the liberal arts are not neglected.

Kirby has shown a strong interest in enhancing the undergraduate curriculum with a greater international perspective. He was instrumental in reforming the study abroad procedures; last month the Faculty passed the proposal that he co-authored. His recent experience as director of the Asia Center is also a promising indication that other regional and ethnic initiatives may now find a sympathetic ear.

As chair of the history department, Kirby made positive reforms to the history curriculum and returned the tutorial program to the heart of the department. These changes were especially beneficial to undergraduates, and we hope they foreshadow similar constructive changes within FAS.

Dramatic changes to undergraduate education—including abolishing the Core Curriculum, reforming Harvard’s sub-par advising system and addressing grade inflation—should be Kirby’s first priority. His comments indicating such a focus two days ago were a promising start.

Aside from undergraduate education, Knowles left unfinished a number of ongoing issues that need significant attention. The space crunch for FAS over the next decade will present a considerable challenge. Kirby must find additional space for both Faculty and students; professors still need more office space and students still need a new undergraduate House and a vibrant student center.

One specific space issue that will likely face Kirby is the renovation of the Malkin Athletic Center (MAC). Kirby should go forward with the project, creating as much student space as possible in addition to keeping the MAC open overnight.

Furthermore, while we are pleased with Summers’ choice, the selection process must be reformed to include more input from the Faculty and students. The committee of students, which came together on its own initiative and essentially forced student priorities on Summers whether he wanted to hear them or not, should be commended for being proactive—but the process as it stands requires the University president to consult only members of the Corporation. In the future, a group of Faculty, administrators and students should create a nonbinding short list of candidates from which the president should make the selection. Students, Faculty and the entire University deserve a more open selection process.

Kirby’s personality will be an important asset in a position that requires a tactful yet strong leader. His personable, congenial manner will serve the Faculty well, and his collegial approach may act as a needed buffer between a headstrong University President and Harvard’s professors. Kirby appears well equipped to tackle the most pressing issues facing Harvard undergraduates.