Field Hockey Falls Just Short of NCAA Bid

Sophomore MINA PELL (26), who led Harvard with nine goals this year, celebrates a penalty corner goal, while senior back KATIE TURCK (10) looks on.
By David R. De remer, Crimson Staff Writer

On paper, it may appear that the Harvard field hockey team took a step backwards this year because it fell short of a second straight NCAA appearance. But in reality, the program is poised to be nationally competitive next year like never before.

The Crimson (11-6, 5-2 Ivy) finished the year tied for second in the Ivies with Dartmouth, while Princeton claimed its eighth straight Ivy title. An NCAA at-large berth was out of reach this season due to a deeper pool of tournament contenders.

But Harvard finished its season on a high note by winning its last four games convincingly. A postseason berth in the ECAC tournament was a possibility for the Crimson, but Harvard Coach Sue Caples elected to pass because she felt that the team had set higher goals after making NCAAs for the first time in nine years last season.

“[Making NCAAs] was a tremendous experience a year ago,” Caples said. “That was a wonderful moment in [the athletes’] careers here. They’ll remember that. We’ve moved to the next level. And that’s our focus, getting back there.”

Injuries were a big part of why Harvard didn’t get back there this season. Sophomore forward Kate McDavitt, a Second Team All-Ivy pick in 2000, never took the field this year, and sophomore goalkeeper Katie Zacarian was never fully healthy. Among the seniors, captain Jane Park and back Natalia Berry both missed much of the season.

“Losing [the injured players] took away some of our tools, definitely,” Caples said. “But other kids stepped up and increased their level of play.”

At the forefront of those players were First Team All-Ivy players Jen Ahn, a sophomore, and team MVP Katie Scott, a junior. Ahn was the team’s pivotal midfielder and Scott was a model of consistency in the backfield. In the team’s last four games, the back line of Scott and seniors Katie Turck, Sarah Luskin and Heather Hussey let just one goal through.

Harvard played with consistency in its four-game win streak, a big improvement from its earlier losses to Princeton and Dartmouth that had ended the Crimson’s NCAA and Ivy title hopes. Even in some of its victories, Harvard struggled in the first half.

“I think in the last four games we played stronger for the full 70 minutes instead of just for a half,” Park said. “So if we could rewind, we would have a better shot, I’m sure.”

The team had its moments, though. It beat UMass for the first time since 1984. It beat a nationally ranked Northeastern team on the strength of a comeback led by junior forward Philomena Gambale and freshman midfielder Kate Gannon. In a homecoming for several Crimson players, Harvard took an elite Michigan squad to overtime before falling. That Wolverine team ultimately won the national championship.

The Crimson has good reason to expect serious national attention next season. Harvard returns all of its midfielders and all but two of its forwards. Zacarian and McDavitt will be back after having a full year to heal. Next year’s recruiting class will perhaps be Harvard’s strongest ever, led by McDavitt’s younger sister, Jen, a national U-19 player.

The recent rise of the Harvard program has been no fluke. Jordan Field, Harvard’s three-year-old patch of artificial turf, has improved all facets of the game and allowed the Crimson to compete for top recruits. This year’s seniors were among the first to benefit, spurring Harvard to NCAAs in 2000 and paving the way for future tournament experiences.

“NCAAs is always the highlight,” Turck said. “I wish the team the best for the upcoming years. I think they’ve got a great start. The seniors have worked very hard to get the program where it is.”

FIELD HOCKEY

RECORD 11-6 (5-2 Ivy, 2nd place)

COACH Sue Caples

Captain Jane Park

Highlights Crimson takes eventual national champion Michigan to overtime and beats nationally ranked Northeastern. Junior back Katie Scott and sophomore midfielder

Jen Ahn earn First Team All-Ivy honors.