Jantzen Wrestles To Third at NCAAs

Sophomore JESSE JANTZEN, shown here at Las Vegas, wrestled back to third place and Harvard’s best NCAA finish since 1953 after losing to the eventual national champion in the quarterfinals.
By David Weinfeld, Crimson Staff Writer

It was a year of farewells and firsts for the Harvard wrestling team.

While the Crimson was saying goodbye to co-captains Kevin El-Hayek and Dawid Rechul, sophomore Jesse Jantzen became the highest Harvard finisher at the NCAA championships since 1953 and junior Pat O’Donnell made his first-ever appearance in the national tournament.

El-Hayek’s career ended with a third-place finish in the 125-pound class at the EIWA Championships. Rechul successfully defended his EIWA heavyweight championship with a victory over Brown’s Bronson Lingamfelter, who had bested Rechul earlier this year. O’Donnell placed third at EIWAs at 165 pounds, good enough to earn a wild card spot at the NCAAs.

But Jantzen was the biggest story of all at EIWAs. The 149-pounder was named the tournament’s outstanding wrestler and won the Sheridan Award for most falls. Jantzen pinned both his semifinal and final opponents in less than two minutes. He was especially impressive in the finals against Penn’s Joe Henson, who he had only narrowly defeated 1-0 several weeks earlier.

“When I wrestled him a few weeks ago, I didn’t feel as good,” Jantzen said. “[This time] I ended up a getting a throw on him when he was nearly out of bounds, so maybe he let up a bit. It was a combination of me feeling better and getting lucky.”

Jantzen took Henson down twice and turned him over twice before finally pinning him.

“The guy’s amazing,” said Harvard Coach Jay Weiss after the tournament. “He’s got his eyes on a bigger goal.”

Jantzen fell short of that goal—an NCAA championship—but still put on an impressive display for the Albany, N.Y., audience, finishing third after pinning his opponent in the consolation final.

Jantzen concluded his stellar season by placing fifth in April’s U.S. senior national open tournament. Another Harvard representative, Danielle Hobeika ’01, came in second in the women’s 112-pound class.

In his third trip to NCAAs, Rechul came back from a first-round loss to place seventh, good enough for an All-American finish. Rechul avenged three losses in the process.

“Getting All-American is not an easy thing to do,” Rechul said. “I tried twice before and couldn’t do it. [Being an All-American] is a great honor and something I can be very proud of.”

O’Donnell bowed out after losing two of three matches.

“I know that I should have placed in the tournament and that I have a year to put all the pieces together,” O’Donnell said. “I will learn from the experience and make sure it doesn’t happen next year.”

El-Hayek and Rechul, both terrific team leaders, will be missed.

El-Hayek won Harvard’s Unsung Hero Award, while Rechul received the Sullivan Award, presented to the wrestler who has given the most to the program throughout his career. They led the team not only through their guidance but also by example. In their final tournaments, they both demonstrated the ability to bounce back after losses.

Next season, the Crimson will look to a new crop of leaders. O’Donnell will be joined by fellow juniors Reggie Lee (184 pounds) and Robbie Griffin (157 pounds) as top wrestlers with NCAA potential.

Griffin earned the Henry Russell Ames Award as the team’s most improved wrestler.

All eyes will remain on Jantzen, who is poised to compete for an elusive NCAA title. Jantzen, who finished the season 38-3 and undefeated in the EIWA, seems to be almost a lock to repeat in the region as he contends for the national championship.

Jantzen won the Hardest Worker Award for the second year in a row and earned his first Richard Glover Ames Award as Harvard’s outstanding wrestler.

Next season, Jantzen will find himself in a new role as team co-captain, along with junior 157-pounder Nick Picarsic. Rechul thinks Jantzen is up for the job.

“Jesse has, by his work ethic, put himself in a leadership role that I don’t even think he realizes he has,” Rechul said.

Rechul and El-Hayek have left Harvard with a fine legacy. And with Jantzen at the helm, that legacy is in good hands.

WRESTLING

RESULTS 7-7 (2-3 Ivy), 4th at EIWAs

COACH Jay Weiss

CAPTAINS Kevin El-Hayek, Dawid Rechul

HIGHLIGHTS Sophomore 149-lb. Jesse Jantzen is named the EIWAs must outstanding wrestler. At NCAAs, he falls in the quarterfinals but wrestles back to third place. Rechul, a heavyweight, earns seventh place in the third NCAA appearance of his career.