Field Hockey Takes Early Lead, Dominates UNH

By Allison D. Bates, Contributing Writer

Eleven minutes into the women’s field hockey game against New Hampshire at Jordan Field last night, junior midfielder Shelley Maasdorp broke the stalemate of the two teams’ defenses. Maasdorp scored the game’s first goal off of a corner, with an assist from senior back Liz Andrews, to give Harvard the momentum it needed. The Crimson (5-2, 2-0 Ivy) never looked back.

Leading by 5-0 at one point, it dominated the Wildcats 6-1 with UNH’s only goal coming well into the second half.

It was a clean game from start to finish as Harvard utilized the fundamentals it had been working on all week in practice.

“It was a great team effort,” said Crimson coach Sue Caples. “They have a complicated offense, but we did a great job, knowing when to zone. We had good counterattacks that forced turnovers. It was our most complete game to date.”

It would be difficult to imagine a more well-executed game.

The Crimson had great ball movement, using its passes and stick skills to send the ball almost effortlessly among its own offense. And though the score might make Harvard’s victory over UNH look like a simple blowout against a mediocre team, the disparity was more due to Harvard playing an incredibly solid game than any weakness in the opponent.

“The difference between a good game and a great game is keeping the ball on your stick and working on the fundamentals,” said co-captain Kate McDavitt. “Now we know what we’re capable of and how we want to play.”

While Harvard fed off its own offensive success, UNH was unable to mount any serious threat.

Harvard scored five straight goals as Maasdorp followed up her own goal with a second score only moments later. Seniors Mina Pell and Andrews each had a goal and sent Harvard into the half leading 4-0.

Continuing her role as a defensive powerhourse, senior goalkeeper Katie Zacarian resisted the Wildcats’ only 2 shots on goal.

The second half began with a confident Harvard showing more leniency in the line-up. Zacarian was removed in favor of junior back-up Aliaa Remtillia and Maasdorp—still nursing a pulled hamstring—was taken out of the game. Yet the Crimson continued its excellent level of play.

McDavitt scored one goal in the second half and the Wildcat’s Jenn Harrison gave UNH its lone score. Harvard’s leading scorer, junior forward Tiffany Egnaczyk, supplied the final goal of the game.

This game leads the Crimson confidently into the rest of its season. Harvard faces Providence this Saturday and resumes Ivy play against Cornell a week from Sunday.

“Now we’re where we want to be and then build from here,” said co-captain Jen Ahn.

With the skill and discipline it demonstrated against UNH, any ‘building’ will make the Crimson a formidable foe for future opponents to take down.

Field Hockey