Adrian N. Gaty ’07
Adrian N. Gaty ’07

Hungary for Some Lovin'

With plenty of time for thrifty student travelers to book very early for spring break, the Durex condom’s Global Sex
By Adam P. Schneider

With plenty of time for thrifty student travelers to book very early for spring break, the Durex condom’s Global Sex Survey, now in its seventh year, reports that “bedtime in Budapest is the most passionate.” Hungarians have sex on average 152 times a year, eclipsing the French, who were on top last year with 144 times a year.

“We are a very romantic people. Our literature and art have always reflected our love for the female form,” says Adrian N. Gaty ’07, a Canadian of strong Hungarian roots.

What is the Hungarian secret to an active sexual lifestyle? “Once you have made love to a man who eats Goulash, you will never go back,” says Gaty. Perhaps Frappucinos and Big Macs are deterring the American sexual appetite. (Still, according to the survey, Americans are getting more than their share of cybersex: Supposedly, 54 percent of Americans have had sex via phone, e-mail or text message.)

But maybe it has nothing to do with diet or technology; Gaty explains that he takes a very romantic approach to dating. He likes to “wine ’em, dine ’em, and romance ’em.” He then “looks deep into their eyes and whispers sweet nothings” in their ears. When Gaty gets his plethora of ladies back to the bedroom, he is “a fan of the helicopter,” he says, referring to a highly challenging sexual position. “Hungarians have a great ability to improvise,” says Gaty.