In Harvard's Service: Calling on '007

Six freshmen hope to make an immediate impact for the Crimson and challenge their upperclass teammates for spots on the lines.

By Gabriel M. Velez, Contributing Writer

After graduating five talented seniors last year, the women’s hockey team will need its six freshmen to reinforce its ranks.

Emily Vitt will vie for the starting spot in goal, while Lindsey Weaver looks for a partner to join on the Crimson blue line.

Liza Solley, Jenn Sifers, Katie Johnston and Caitlin Cahow will challenge upperclassmen and each another for a spot on the offensive lines.

From rookies to veterans to coaches, the players already feel that they are gelling together as unit after only a week of practice.

“I’m encouraged,” says Harvard coach Katey Stone. “I like our team right now just in the little things they’ve been able to catch onto right away. We’ve put a lot of speed into our lineup with these freshmen, which is very encouraging.”

Aside from the new speed burst to the team, the freshmen add much needed depth to Harvard’s lines.

Standing Tall in the Net

Number 1 will skate between the pipes again this year, but the jersey will be donned by a new face.

Emily Vitt will wear the number of last year’s starter, the now-retired senior Jessica Ruddock.

Like Ruddock, Vitt is undaunted by the pressures of collegiate level hockey.

“As far as the pressure [on me],” Vitt says, “I feel that I am on a team that is made of players confident in each other, which replaces any sort or pressure with a sort of excitement and love for the game.”

Vitt has already demonstrated that she has the quick feet and agility needed to play goal against the best offenses in the nation.

What Vitt brings to the table is an ability to move between the pipes with incredible speed, cutting off chances and stopping back-door shots.

“She could be our starter,” says co-captain Angela Ruggiero, “if she picks it up and challenges [sophomore] Ali Boe. She comes to the rink with a really positive attitude, and she’s always looking for advice.”

While at Deerfield Academy, the alma mater of two upperclassmen skaters in junior Kat Sweet and sophomore Abra Kinkopf, Vitt handled pressure well in the goal, leading Deerfield to admirable heights.

“My Deerfield team won the New England prep tournament my sophomore year,” Vitt says. “And although that title doesn’t compare to the national title, I feel that I still know what it takes to win and am confident we will do so.”

Back on the Blue Line

Coming in to help fill the defensive void left by the graduation of Jamie Hagerman ’03 and Pamela Van Reesema ’03, Lindsay Weaver joins the Crimson blue lines and brings with her speed and promising skill.

Weaver understands the pressures on her as the only freshmen defensive recruit.

“The defense that graduated last year left pretty big shoes to fill,” Weaver says. “It was a little intimidating at first. With each week of practice I am gaining confidence and I feel as though I will fit in pretty well.”

Back at home, she used to play with her public school team and she more than held her own with the boys she played with and against, much like a number of the Crimson’s players.

“Being the only girl, I felt like there was a part of the team that I didn’t belong to,” Weaver says. “Locker-room talk and activity is what brings a team closer together. It is a special type of bonding that I didn’t experience as part of my high school team.”

If there is one place where her skills are not quite up to par with the rest of her talent, it’s the speed of her handling of the puck.

“I can see us playing together possibly,” Ruggiero says. “She’s got quick feet, but her hands have to catch up to her feet. Weaver has a strong desire to improve.

“My goal for this season is to not only improve my shooting and passing, but also to learn as much as possible from my more experienced teammates and coaches by following their advice,” Weaver says.

“In my opinion, Weaver isn’t only going to get it done, she’s going to get it done well,” says junior Ashley Banfield.

Ca-Pow

Forward Caitlin Cahow’s fearless style of play should add another punch to the Crimson offensive arsenal.

“Caitlin Cahow has a great deal of speed and a good sense of the game,” says sophomore Julie Chu. “She’s not afraid to get into the corners and battle it out with the opponent, which is great to see.”

Cahow’s grit and her all-around skill indicate that she could be a threat to opposing defenses in several ways.

“Cahow is a complete player,” says junior Nicole Corriero. “She is strong, fast and extremely smart. She’s got great hands and a great scoring touch. I think she’ll have a great season.”

Cahow also shows a mature poise necessary to succeed.

“The only pressure I feel is the pressure that I put on myself to go out and challenge my teammates day in and day out and hope for a spot on the ice,” Cahow says. “If nothing else, I am making my teammates and myself better.”

Cahow’s teammates have already taken notice of her work ethic.

“She has a ton of skills, a ton of hustle, very quick feet,” says co-captain Lauren McAuliffe. “She definitely will be contributing a lot.”

Speed Demon

If the Crimson plans to play a fast-paced offense, count Jennifer Sifers in as a frequent contributor.

“I think my style of play is as a fast forward,” Sifers says.

Her teammates agree.

“Jen Sifers is going to be one of our fastest skaters,” McAuliffe says. “Just playing four-on-four—some of the passes she makes, I really love to see. [She is] a really heads-up player.”

For a taller player like Sifers (5’8), speed is an offshoot of agility.

Nevertheless, Sifers will look to improve her game throughout the year.

“My specific goals for the year are to strengthen my stickhandling skills,” Sifers says. “Along with a quicker, more accurate shot, I want to be a better, stronger player all around.

“The game is so much quicker than I’ve ever played so my reaction time must also be that much faster.”

Looking Forward to the Big Time

Liza Solley is excited to transition to the style of collegiate hockey.

“College hockey is much more physical and fast-paced compared to high school hockey,” Solley says, “but that is exactly the kind of game that appeals to me.”

Her teammates thinks she’ll fit right in.

“Liza is a tall, big strong player,” Ruggiero says. “She hurt her back so I haven’t seen much of her. But she’ll challenge for first line or second line.”

Solley is competing for the top ranks because of her very rare blend of size, strength, speed and ability to create space.

“Liza is a big power forward,” Corriero says. “She’s really strong and fast, and can create a lot of great opportunities for her linemates.”

The Crimson have only seen a limited amount of Solley due to a minor back injury sustained in practice. She should be ready for opening day on Nov. 7.

And with the scoring ability of Chu and Ruggiero, who accumulated 93 and 83 points, respectively, last season, Solley will be a valuable asset in recreating the offense that was so potent last year.

Waiting on Number Six

To most of the team right now, Katie Johnston is somewhat of an enigma.

The Harvard women’s soccer team might have more to note about its freshman forward, though, as Johnson has played in all but one of the Crimson’s games.

Nonetheless, those who have played with Johnston on the ice have only good things to say.

“I played with Katie back home for a bit,” says Corriero, who won gold with Johnston and Team Canada at the 2001 Under-18 National Championships. “Katie’s got great moves. She’s also really fast. And she can put the puck in the net. She’s also an awesome athlete, as evidenced by her role on the Harvard soccer team.”

When Johnston joins the team in mid-November, her experience and athleticism may add a boost to the team’s offensive capabilities.

“I am a hard worker who loves to pressure the puck so I think I will fit in well with the Harvard style of play,” Johnston says. “Once I get started with the season, I hope to get as much playing time as possible.”

PreviewsWomen's Ice Hockey