Field Hockey Pummels Providence 7-0

Harvard’s attack limits Friars to defensive end

Sophomore forward BEVERLIE TING (10) was one of Harvard’s diverse threats on offense against Providence on Saturday afternoon.
By Pablo S. Torre, Contributing Writer

As Ozzy Osbourne’s “Crazy Train” played on the loudspeakers overhead, the Harvard field hockey team marched onto Jordan Field with the rain at the players’ backs and a three-game winning streak in tow.

Perhaps the No. 19 Crimson hoped to reproduce the offense that had scored six goals on the University of New Hampshire on Wednesday, or the defense that had limited its past three opponents—including then-No. 11 Connecticut—to three total scores.

What Harvard got, amazingly, might have been even better than what it had been hoping for.

The Crimson shut out Providence 7-0 on Saturday afternoon, turning in its most prolific offensive display of the year. Senior midfielder Liz Andrews and sophomore midfielder Jen McDavitt each scored two goals, while freshman forward Gretchen Fuller joined tri-captain midfielder Kate McDavitt and tri-captain back Jen Ahn in adding one score apiece.

“The team felt very confident heading into the game after our big win over UNH,” the elder McDavitt said. “We have been approaching each game with the mentality that we need to play at the top of our game all of the time and not let down once we start winning.”

That mind set was put to the test a mere 2:15 into the game, when Jen McDavitt finished the first of her two goals on a slick drive in the circle, putting Harvard up 1-0.

From there, a determined and persistent Crimson team never looked back, as Harvard (7-2) outshot the Friars (7-5) by a 26-9 margin, moving almost the entire game onto Providence’s side of the field.

“We were looking to execute offensively with lots of quality shots on goal and smart possession throughout,” Ahn said. “Our corners were effective and we scored from the field of play, which is what we had been working on a lot this week in practice.”

The stabilizing effect of the defense held the team together as the Crimson utilized all three of its goalkeepers—tri-captain Katie Zacarian, junior Aliaa Remtilla and junior Anne Haig—in the shutout. Each had two saves and was helped by a stout supporting cast.

“Tackling back by the forwards and middies and stepping up by the defense is what kept us so offensive the entire game,” Ahn said. “Most of their breakaways were stopped high or poor shots were forced, allowing for effective transition back to offense.”

Perhaps the best summary of the game was not offered by any of the Crimson seniors, but by a frustrated Providence fan yelling in the direction of a referee.

“Harvard never does anything wrong!” he screamed.

On Saturday, at least, it would have been pretty hard to disagree.

Field Hockey