Not All Republicans Oppose Gay Marriage

Letter to the Editors

By Julia E. Cassis, Crimson Staff Writer

To the editors:

As a dues-paying member of the Harvard Republican Club (HRC), I wanted to make it clear that when Mark T. Silvestri ’05 said the HRC believes that marriage is between a man and a woman, he did not speak for all of us. Specifically, he did not speak for me (News, “Mass. Court Finds Ban on Gay Marriage Unconstitutional,” Nov. 19).

I believe marriage is for two people of the opposite or the same gender who wish to express love and commitment to one another and have it recognized by the government as such an expression.

When I found out about the Massachusetts ruling that banning gay marriage is unconstitutional, I posted to the HRC list that I thought it was cause to celebrate. I didn’t get any supportive responses, but I’m still a Republican and that’s still what I think.

I believe one of our greatest weaknesses as a party is our image as a group of old, rich, white, straight men in suits. I want everyone to know that there are Republicans who support bisexual, gay, lesbian and transgender rights and causes, and that you don’t have to be a Democrat to have an open heart.

Julia E. Cassis ’06

Nov. 20, 2003