The Quotable Rohit Chopra

For FM, the enduring legacy of Undergraduate Council President Rohit Chopra ’04 will not be the quashing of preregistration, universal
By FM Staff

For FM, the enduring legacy of Undergraduate Council President Rohit Chopra ’04 will not be the quashing of preregistration, universal keycard access or urban planning measures from dance space to Allston. No, it’ll be the dry zingers he lets loose in public, delivered in his trademark deadpan. Chopra has never shied away from press—be it The Crimson, Business Week, or the Baltimore Sun—and he makes it worth a reporter’s while with remarks like the ones below, excerpted in chronological order.

“They’re not going to rip up the buildings now in the middle of the term so we can get the Discovery Channel.”

—On the drive for cable TV in the Houses. (“Undergraduate Council Renews Call for Cable,” November 5, 2001.)

“I would make sweaty pig love to Ec 10 because it clearly hasn’t gotten any in about 20 years. In terms of a life partner, I would choose “Sex” because I don’t want life to get boring.”

—On which core classes he would choose for sweaty pig love, life partner. (“Throwing the Knuckleball,” December 5, 2003.)

“We’re trying to run this in a professional way. We’re not running as a joke candidacy. ‘Rohit me baby one more time’ doesn’t reinforce this.”

—On fake posters put up during his candidacy for president. (“Mystery Posters target Chopra,” December 10, 2002.)

“Please refrain from hissing.”

—On the continuation of council debate despite the airing of the Joe Millionaire finale. (“Council Leaders Resist Ending Meeting Early,” February 18, 2003.)

“I always say that as arousing as an IOP forum or an a capella concert might be, there’s definitely a need for more excuses to ask people out.”

—On a council task force to battle the dating crisis. (“I second that emotion,” February 20, 2003.)

“We yell at each other all the time. He’s a worthy adversary.”

—On former Dean of the College Harry R. Lewis ’68, (“Council worries about future without Lewis,” May 2, 2003.)

“Everyone knows that [the MAC] is one of the worst atrocities of College life. It is closer to an elementary school playground.”

—On athletic facilities at Harvard. (“Council Calls for More House Athletic Equipment," April 14, 2003.)

“The inmates are now completely in charge of the asylum.”

—On the proposal to relocate Quad Houses to Allston (September 5, 2003 e-mail to the UC-general list.)

“I have a very strong love-hate relationship with the institution. I wouldn’t have done all that I’ve done if I didn’t both love and hate it,” he said.

—On Harvard. (“Chopra Employs Both Carrot and Stick," September 29, 2003.)