Familiarity Breeds Contempt

Harvard has played Cornell eight times since 2001, with the Big Red holding a 6-2 advantage

Feb. 3, 2001

Cornell 2, Harvard 1

at Bright Hockey Center

The Big Red scored twice in the first and withstood Dominic Moore’s third-period shorthander to overtake the Crimson for the ECAC lead. This began an eight-game stretch in the rivalry in which one of the teams was first in the ECAC, the only exception being the 2001 ECAC semifinal.

March 16, 2001

Cornell 5, Harvard 2

ECAC Semifinal

Harvard dominated early, but saw two would-be goals by Dennis Packard disallowed, opening the door for Cornell’s three-goal outburst in 2 minutes, 37 seconds of the second period. It marked the second straight season that Cornell knocked its archrival out of the ECAC playoffs.

Nov. 16, 2001

Harvard 4, Cornell 3 (OT)

at Bright Hockey Center

A nickname that defined the season—“Cardiac Crimson”—is born. Then-freshman Noah Welch scored the game-tying goal with 40 seconds left in the third period, and Brett Nowak poked in the winner at 1:14 of overtime. Dov Grumet-Morris earned the win in his first collegiate game, and Harvard handed No. 11 Cornell its first loss.

Feb. 1, 2002

Cornell 6, Harvard 3

at Lynah Rink

After not playing a regular-season game in 20 days—thank you, exam period—Harvard was no match for the Big Red before a revved-up Lynah crowd. Cornell scored twice in the first period and coasted, while bad blood begat fisticuffs following Sam Paolini’s blindside hit on Capouch late in the game. Amid the chaos, Harvard coach Mark Mazzoleni was assessed a bench minor for banging a stick on the boards and dropping it on the ice. Harvard’s highlight came with less than a minute to play, when Tim Pettit sidestepped a fish to score from the high slot.