A Royal Guest

Accomplished rapper and actress Queen Latifah eill be a great host for Cultural Rhythms

By The CRIMSON Staff

She’s won a Grammy and been called one of the most influential female rap-artists in music history—and, oh yeah, she’s quite an actress. Queen Latifah is a true pop-culture icon, and the Harvard Foundation for Intercultural and Race Relations did well in selecting her to host the 18th annual Cultural Rhythms show this coming Saturday. Both as an artist and as a performer, the Queen is a powerful presence; she will undoubtedly energize Saturday’s events. Moreover, she has the big-name appeal that last year’s host, actor Blair Underwood, lacked.

The Cultural Rhythms show is always one of the most eagerly-anticipated events on the Harvard calendar, featuring a variety of different performances. The host is carefully selected on the basis of both artistic achievement and charitable work. By any measure, Queen Latifah is a superstar in both categories. She’s put out five albums, including this past December’s She’s A Queen—A Collection of Hits, and in 1994 she won the Grammy Award for the Best Rap Solo Performance for her hit single, U.N.I.T.Y. On the small screen, she starred in the hit television show “Living Single.” In addition, she has been involved with much charity work, mainly centered on the Lancelot H. Owens Scholarship Fund, which seeks to offer educational opportunities to underprivileged children. (The charity was named after Latifah’s late brother, who died in a tragic motorcycle accident in 1992.)

Recently, Latifah flexed her big-screen acting muscles with a dazzling performance in Chicago. Being placed alongside Renee Zellweger and Catherine Zeta-Jones is a daunting position for any actress to be in, but the Queen rose to the challenge and has now been nominated for both a Golden Globe and an Oscar. These are all impressive achievements, and they combine to make Queen Latifah a wonderful catch for the Harvard Foundation and Cultural Rhythms. We look forward to Saturday’s show.