Clip 'n Save: The 15 Minute Guide to Learning How to Break Dance

Who says Harvard can’t party? Freshman trio Brian D. Lee ’05, James C. Lee ’05 and Samir K. Trehan ’05
By M.t. Young

Who says Harvard can’t party? Freshman trio Brian D. Lee ’05, James C. Lee ’05 and Samir K. Trehan ’05 of the unofficial Harvard Breakers Organization (HBO) have been performing to packed crowds since their debut performances with the Contradictions Fashion Show and Expressions last semester. But this isn’t just fancy footwork. With moves derived from gymnastics, including flips, spins and flares, breakdancing is a way to get your full-body workout and be the life of the party. While it has taken the group several years to compile their repertoire, you can learn the basics in a matter of minutes. In this fifteen-step guide to breakdancing, the boys go over the basic “six step” footwork and the flashy “windmill” move for the more adventurous.

1. Begin in push-up position.

2. Slide your left leg under your right leg and lift your right arm.

3. Tuck the right leg under the left leg. At this point, your hands are behind you and your knees are crossed and bent.

4. Bring your left leg over the right leg. You should be in a crab position.

5. Bring the right leg over the left leg and raise your left hand.

6. Bring the left leg back. Return to push-up position by putting down your left hand in front of you and swing your right leg back under your left leg.

7. The windmill begins with steps 1-5, skipping step 6.

8. Reach over and tuck your left elbow into your stomach.

9. Kick up and behind you with your left leg.

10. Swing your right leg horizontally under your left leg and behind you. Legs should be completely spread, and all your weight should be on your hands.

11. Push off with right hand and collapse your left hand (tucked in) so you end up on your shoulders and upper back.

12. Simultaneously swing your left leg under your right. You should be spinning on your back with your legs spread wide open.

13. Keeping your legs spread, lift your left leg and swing the right leg under it.

14. Turn over onto your hands, with left hand tucked in your stomach.

15. Repeat steps 9 through 14 until tired for the “wow’ factor.

Lee has a word of advice for would-be breakdancers: “The learning curve is really quick, as long as you’re dedicated and you’re having fun with it. You can’t take breakdancing too seriously.” To catch the pros at work, check out upcoming performances of HBO at Eleganza, the Korean Association Culture Show and the Fallen Angels concert.

For The Moment