Quincy Residents Say Bye Bye to Beloved Guard

Retiring Quincy security guard CORT H. ELLIS speaks with an appreciative student at a reception Friday held in his honor.
By Leslie S. Bishop, Crimson Staff Writer

About 40 Quincy House students crowded into their Junior Common Room on Friday evening to bid farewell to a beloved house security guard.

Cort H. Ellis, 77, who served as a guard in Quincy House for over three years, officially retired this weekend.

Ellis entered the packed room to a standing ovation and a large chocolate and vanilla cake with “Thanks Cort” emblazoned in multi-colored frosting.

“Don’t think I’m running out the door singing Martin Luther King’s ‘Free at Last!’ I’m leaving regretfully. I’m really going to miss everybody,” Ellis said in a brief speech.

According to Michelle O. Dionne ’05, who organized the send-off, Ellis had tried not to spread news of his departure.

“I know Cort was trying to keep it quiet, but I thought it would be nice to let him know how much we all appreciate him,” said Dionne, who learned the news while working in the superintendent’s office.

Ellis joked about the good times he shared with students, from long conversations to chasing students trying to take too much toilet paper, yelling “Only two!”

“Once over break I had left my passport at school and needed it to travel, and Cort went to my room, found it and mailed it out to me. It was the sweetest thing,” said Betsy A. Sykes ’04.

Resident Tutor Chris White recalled Ellis sitting down to memorize the face book so he knew students before meeting them.

Ellis said he did not feel he was any more special than the staff in other houses, but those present said they disagreed.

He said he plans to move out to Cape Cod and live with his daughter.

“I’m going to miss all the kids. Right now I’ve got 475 to keep an eye on. As of midnight, I have only my daughter who thinks she has to keep an eye on me!” Ellis said.