Kirby Chooses His Course

Dean's decision to table preregistration is a victory for undergraduate education

By The CRIMSON Staff, Crimson Staff Writer

Yesterday’s announcement by Dean of the Faculty of Arts and Sciences William C. Kirby that immediate plans to introduce preregistration have been shelved is welcome news for all undergraduates. With Kirby’s decision not to put preregistration to a vote of the full Faculty this semester, shopping period will be preserved for the time being in its current form—allowing undergraduates maximum flexibility in selecting classes. Students and faculty alike should be cheered by Kirby’s about-face: they all stand to benefit.

That Kirby recognized, following Tuesday afternoon’s heated Faculty meeting, the serious concerns about the viability of preregistration speaks highly of his pragmatism and open-mindedness. As he conceded yesterday, when it comes to addressing the problems in undergraduate education, “It’s much better to do this right than to do this fast.” The proposal was misguided to begin with, and while it might have been easier for Kirby to press ahead solely to save face, it is admirable that he decided to abandon the plan after realizing its flaws. The broader examination that Kirby suggested yesterday of Harvard College’s academic shortcomings—including its shoddy advising system and dislocated process for hiring teaching fellows—is necessary to tackle current problems of undergraduate education. In deciding to adopt such an approach, Kirby should be commended for his willingness to listen to the impassioned and intelligent criticisms of the initial proposal that came from his colleagues earlier this week.

The 10 professors who stood up on Tuesday—and all those who shared their concerns with Kirby in e-mails and conversation-—deserve renewed thanks. They managed to persuade Kirby to reconsider preregistration before putting it up to a vote. The undergraduate community stands in their debt. In spite of their words, the proposal might well have passed at a full Faculty meeting in April. But they caused Kirby to rethink whether such a vote would be wise.

As University President Lawrence H. Summers pointed out on Tuesday, “almost every other great university in this country does fine with preregistration.” That may be true. But Harvard should aim higher than doing “fine.” The flexibility shopping period provides students is one of the greatest features of Harvard undergraduate education as it stands. Kirby’s recognition of the fundamental value of this system is the foundation upon which he can build real solutions. Now it’s time to get to work.