Two Thefts Hit Quincy Students’ Rooms

By Jenifer L. Steinhardt, Crimson Staff Writer

Quincy House has been hit with two incidents of theft and two additional reports of trespassers in students’ rooms over the past week-and-a-half.

A Quincy resident reported that he heard a trespasser in his room when he awoke late Friday morning, said Harvard University Police Department (HUPD) spokesperson Steven G. Catalano. After the suspect fled the scene, the victim realized that his wallet was missing.

On Saturday afternoon, money was reported stolen from the room of a Quincy House resident. The theft occurred some time last week, Catalano said.

Also Saturday, a Quincy House resident sent an e-mail to the House open list saying that a suspected “college-age” trespasser had entered her Quincy suite around 9 p.m.

This incident followed another alleged trespassing in Quincy House earlier this month. On March 7, Suzanne Watts, the assistant to the Quincy House masters, sent an e-mail to House residents warning that a suspected trespasser had wandered into rooms on the third floor of New Quincy.

Catalano expressed concern yesterday that the Saturday night and early March incidents had not been reported to HUPD.

“If someone comes into your room, and they don’t belong, there should never be a time when you wouldn’t call us,” Catalano said. “We do not want students, faculty or staff physically confronting someone, and we don’t want people putting themselves in harm’s way. Give us a call and we will respond immediately.”

Catalano said investigations into the incidents that had been reported are ongoing.

Quincy House Master Robert P. Kirshner sent an e-mail Saturday afternoon to House residents informing them of the two thefts and warning them not to admit strangers into the building.

Kirshner could not be reached for comment over the weekend.