Harvard Graduate Student Assaulted, Robbed on Garden St.

By Hana R. Alberts, Crimson Staff Writer

A Harvard graduate student was assaulted and robbed on March 20 at 7:45 p.m. by six teenagers near the cemetary on Garden Street.

A group of five males and one female approached the student while he was walking near Cambridge Common. They pushed him to the ground, punched and kicked him, according to a Cambridge Police Department (CPD) report.

One assailant took a credit card from the victim’s wallet. The group then fled.

The victim said he thought the assailants followed him from the Harvard T stop but he was unable to describe them.

CPD spokesperson Frank D. Pasquarello said yesterday there was no indication that the victim resisted the assailants.

He said that the victim did not need to be hospitalized.

He also said that CPD did not make any arrests related to the robbery.

Although this incident is unrelated to the stabbings near the Quad in February and to the armed robbery on DeWolfe Street last month, Pasquarello said CPD is still beefing up security in the Cambridge Common area.

“It doesn’t appear to be a pattern,” Pasquarello said. “But we have increased officers in the Common because of that, whatever we can do to stop [the crime].”

Because of these previous incidents, there is sufficient reason to be wary of Cambridge Common, said Harvard University Police Department (HUPD) spokesperon Steven G. Catalano.

He said HUPD suggests that students avoid the area at all times, especially at night.

The shuttle, SafetyWalk and the escort van are all services HUPD recommends for safe travel around campus, Catalano said.

“If you insist on walking [to the Quad], go in groups of two or three. Walk opposite the Common,” he said.

Catalano said that if students are approached, they should avoid confrontation.

“If you’re in danger, draw attention to yourself,” he said. “Don’t yell ‘help’ because people use that to joke [around].”

He said students can make a scene by screaming, using whistles or running towards a public building.

“When you’re out walking, whether you’re on Garden Street or DeWolfe Street, you could become a victim at 6 p.m. or 12 p.m.,” Catalano said.

—Staff writer Hana R. Alberts can be reached at alberts@fas.harvard.edu.