Klein First, M. Golf Second at Lou Flumere Invitational

By Joshua M. Murray, Contributing Writer

In what seems to be the tail end of a winter that refuses to leave, the Harvard men’s golf team entered its latest battle with Mother Nature yesterday at the 30th annual Lou Flumere Invitational. While the world’s best golfers were enjoying 80 degree-plus weather in balmy Houston, the Crimson braved temperatures that struggled to reach half as high and wind gusts up to 30 miles per hour to compete at the 18-hole invitational.

Harvard junior Andrew Klein took the top spot at the tourney, winning in a sudden-death playoff to propel the Crimson to a second place finish.

The tournament—held at Stow Acres Country Club, some 25 miles northwest of Cambridge—showcased 93 of the region’s finest players from 19 local colleges and universities.

With the Ivy League Championships coming up this weekend, Harvard looked to fine-tune its game in preparation for the biggest tournament of the year.

But the Crimson got more than it bargained for in this tune-up. Stow Acres is a true test of golf even in the most pleasant of conditions, featuring such obstacles as a 6,939 yard par-72 bear with three par-5s over 500 yards and six par-4s measuring more than 400 yards, including a Tiger-esque 478-yard ninth. Making a tall task even taller, yesterday’s golfers were battered by bitterly cold temperatures, blustering winds and intermittent rain all round long.

“We had so many layers on it was like a snowball fight out there today,” Klein said. “Taking jackets on and off all day long made trying to stay loose both with the swing and mentally a real challenge.”

Nevertheless, Klein was up to the task. Amidst the miserable weather, Klein drained a seven foot putt on the par-5 18th hole to finish with identical front and back round scores of 38. That gave him a total of 76, four over par and good enough to tie Babson College’s Fabio Silvagni for first at the end of regulation.

“After I made a mental mistake on 18 that got me rattled, I tried to stay calm and collected, and I was able to drain a six or seven footer to take the tournament to a playoff,” Klein said of his home hole heroics.

His red-hot putting didn’t stop there. In fact, on the first hole of the sudden-death playoff Klein rolled in yet another birdie putt to beat out Salvagni and bring the trophy back to Cambridge.

Not only does this win give Klein his second victory in three weeks, but it also gives the Crimson’s top golfer a very important confidence boost going into the Ivies.

“It’s definitely a mental stepping stone to playing 54 holes this weekend without any mistakes,” he said. “I’m really feeling good about my swing and thinking my way around the course.”

With Klein’s victory and solid play from the other four members of the team, the Crimson finished in second place overall, only three shots behind Williams.

Leading the way behind Klein for the Crimson was senior co-captain Taylor Harmeling who finished with a six-over-par round of 78, placing him in a tie for ninth. Neal Hegge, the only other senior to play yesterday, finished with an 80, while sophomore Cliff Ryan and junior Steve Mungovan finished with scores of 81 and 82, respectively.

But it was Andrew Klein’s tournament-winning 76 that stole the show. His performance came as no surprise to his teammates.

“It wasn’t unexpected,” Hegge said. “He’s been playing really well lately. His game is really picking up for the Ivies. That bodes well for both him and the team.”

The Ivies have remained the focus of Harvard’s attention for many months. The only exclusively conference tournament of the season is the Crimson’s first real opportunity in five years for a member of the team to take home the Ancient Eight’s most prestigious trophy.

Either way, the squad has high hopes for this weekend at Metedeconk Country Club, host of the Ivy championship.

“As a team, a top-three finish is totally possible if we get the solid contribution that each of us is capable of making,” Hegge said. “Metedeconk is a difficult but fair course that will cater to our team’s pure ball-striking abilities.

“We’d really like to peak at Metedeconk,” Klein added. “I’m feeling good about my game and excited to tee it up this weekend.”

If nothing else, the team can take comfort in the fact that the weather finally appears to have listened to their pleas. The Crimson can only hope that its game will cooperate as well.