Rest In Pretension

The phenomenal industry of licensed collegiate products has finally gone under—literally. The licensing industry’s most recent stroke of genius has
By L.x. Huang

The phenomenal industry of licensed collegiate products has finally gone under—literally.

The licensing industry’s most recent stroke of genius has expanded an enterprise that already seems to produce everything anyone could possibly use. Now, not only can colleges equip students with a complete way of life—allowing them to wear, use and drink from its hallowed name—they also offer alums their vaunted insignias in death. Companies such as College Memorials in Macon, Ga., specialize in insignia caskets, urns and other truly lasting memorabilia that allow the proud alumnus to take their alma mater to the grave.

According to Kevin P. Scully, administrator of Harvard Trademark Licensing and Operations, the turn of collegiate merchandise for the everlasting occurred about five years ago, to no one’s surprise. Football fans in particular had always been known to be, well, die-hard. “There are schools that have a very devoted following,” says Scully. “An insignia coffin is a big statement.”

Some colleges have turned this new trend into a business venture, officially contracting companies like Collegiate Memorials to fashion entire lines of insignia products—including caskets, monuments, vaults and urns. For those seeking even more distinction, the urns come in three styles: “The Legacy,” “The Glory” and “The Victory.” The business is a lucrative one—even though basic royalty rates are only 5 to 10 percent, a casket alone can run up to $25,000. “There clearly is some money to be made,” says Scully.

Harvard has not sold rights to any memorial companies, and most companies know better than to ask. “Harvard is the most conservative of any college in the U.S. in what they license,” says Scully. “We wouldn’t license caskets like we license sweatshirts.”

That doesn’t mean, however, that old Veritas hasn’t appeared on the lid of a coffin or, more often, on a headstone. In fact, Scully receives a handful of requests every year for permission to engrave the Harvard shield over the final resting place of an alum. On a case-by-case basis, the trademarking office is happy to oblige and, more importantly, demands no royalties. The office then contacts the manufacturer of the headstone or casket and issues a licensed image of the shield. The shield appears as simply “Veritas” or “Veritas” bordered by a wreath. Meanwhile, the alum rests in peace, dropping the H-Bomb unto eternity.